[SOLVED] GSYNC Compatible Will Still Do Good?

Jul 28, 2020
With Cyberpunk nearing release and no delays to be seen. I decided it's time to upgrade my monitor. An old Dell S2209W - LCD @ 60 FPS 5 MS. Been using it about 10 years now. With Covid and other world happenings. Monitors are selling out quick. Or being sold way more than retail. That being said I wanted to find a cheap but good monitor. The one I came across which many probably seen. Is this one AOC - G2590FX It does say Gsync Compatible. So after reading that full Gsync monitors are better for colors and better input latency. (Probably not the whole case) But my question being even though this monitor isn't full Gsync. Will I still get the benefits of less screen tear, stutters, ETC?

Solution
That's the FreeSync range, 30-144. Since the max is more than double the minimum, it can do something called Low Framerate Compensation. That basically allows it to go down to as low as 15Hz (half the minimum) if need be.

It does that by, when it dips below 30fps, it will run the refresh at TWICE the frame rate, but display each frame twice. ie: if it goes to 20fps, it'll run the monitor at 40Hz and display each frame twice. To the eye, it'll look like it's running at 20Hz.

But, how it works is just extraneous information. The net result is that the framerate can adjust to what the video card is putting out.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
GSync Compatible is the phrase Nvidia uses for FreeSync.

Basically, Nvidia's 10-, 16-, 20-, and 30-series GPUs will use adaptive refresh rates with FreeSync monitors. Nvidia has an officially supported list, although a large number of FreeSync monitors not on their list will also work. There are a few exceptions, though, and I've personally run into one of them myself.

But yes, you get the benefits of adaptive refresh.

Reactions: Zakaru156
Jul 28, 2020
GSync Compatible is the phrase Nvidia uses for FreeSync.

Basically, Nvidia's 10-, 16-, 20-, and 30-series GPUs will use adaptive refresh rates with FreeSync monitors. Nvidia has an officially supported list, although a large number of FreeSync monitors not on their list will also work. There are a few exceptions, though, and I've personally run into one of them myself.

But yes, you get the benefits of adaptive refresh.

Much thanks! I'm really excited to finally get a new monitor. Especially playing Cyberpunk with it. I do believe it's 30 - 144. So what does that mean? I read that it doubles your frames. To smooth it out. Around what FPS would this happen. Is it below 30 or maybe just around it?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's the FreeSync range, 30-144. Since the max is more than double the minimum, it can do something called Low Framerate Compensation. That basically allows it to go down to as low as 15Hz (half the minimum) if need be.

It does that by, when it dips below 30fps, it will run the refresh at TWICE the frame rate, but display each frame twice. ie: if it goes to 20fps, it'll run the monitor at 40Hz and display each frame twice. To the eye, it'll look like it's running at 20Hz.

But, how it works is just extraneous information. The net result is that the framerate can adjust to what the video card is putting out.

Reactions: Zakaru156
Solution
Jul 28, 2020
I appreciate the detailed information. I'm glad I made a good decision. I'm sure games will play much different. The dell monitor I used. Caused display stutters. But it did come out in 2008. It's good news to not deal with that anymore. Thanks for the help! I'm excited to see how smooth games will be!

Reactions: King_V