Gsync inconsistently ON/OFF

Apr 5, 2018
About 3 months ago I bought a new monitor to go with my new build, and I've been having some really bad issues with Gsync. I bought the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR.

Ever since getting it, Gsync hasn't been consistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have the Gsync indicator turned on so I know when it stops working. For example. I get into a game, see g sync is on and I can feel it working. Then I go download some stuff for about 2 hours, and when I come back and get into a game, the indicator is gone and the game feels choppy, not smooth, screen tearing.

I have Vsync set to application controlled, Gsync is on in 3D settings and the Gsync tab, I have Vsync on in game so my frames do not go higher than 164-165, and it doesn't seem to matter when I change them.

I've been dealing with this for a while now and I even traded the monitor in for a new one and the issue persists. At this point I'm sure its a hardware issue such as my card or RAM messing things up, but I don't have the money to buy another $1,300 card or 32gb of ram for $560.

I've tried new drivers, old drivers, using DDU multiple times, removing Experience, disabling windows update, etc

In short - Gsync isn't always on..

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Build:
- Aorus 1080ti Extreme 11GB
- 8700k Delid @4.7
- 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz @3200mhz
- 1x 960 EVO (OS) 1x 960 PRO (Storage)
- Maximus X Formula
- Corsair HX 850i w/ Custom cables
- NZXT H700i

Peripherals: In PC
- Custom EK waterloop - - Res>Pump>GPU>CPU>RAD>RAD>
- 6x Noctua NF F12 PWM Chromax.Black / 1x NZXT Fan
- Hue+ / 3x RGB strips
- Phanteks Fan Hub
- NZXT USB 2.0 Hub

Peripherals: Outside PC
- PG278QR
- Logitech 5.1 Speakers
- Sennheiser Game Zero Headest
- Corsair K55
- Razer deathadder Black

G-Sync only operates when your framerate is lower than your monitor's refresh rate. It turns off when you reach the refresh rate of your monitor.

V-Sync doesn't operate at the same time as G-Sync. The V-Sync setting in the control panel controls what happens when you pass above the limit of G-Sync. If V-Sync is on, then it will switch to V-Sync when you are outside G-Sync's range.

Apr 5, 2018

I wrote in my post that my FPS does not go over 165. Thats my refresh rate. And vsync caps your framerate by default to your refresh rate, so thats why I have it on.

Apr 5, 2018
But the indicator will not, thats why its an issue. I don't hit 165 when I'm playing tarkov, so thats not the answer. W/e this is the same runaround that I see on other threads. Thanks for the help.

That's because the most common reason when people say "G-Sync isn't working" is because their framerate is higher than their monitor's refresh rate, or "would be" higher but is capped by V-Sync, and you didn't give any information indicating that this wasn't the issue.

If your framerates are lower, at say 120 FPS for example and G-Sync randomly isn't working, then that is a different issue.

Apr 5, 2018

Sorry, I should have elaborated on the indicator. The indicator will be shown whether or not your frame rate goes above the refresh rate. This means that its not a refresh rate issue or Vsync issue. Gsync is physically disabling itself, even if im at desktop. Sometimes restarting the computer fixes it for a while until it stops again. But the point still stands that the indicator disappears and Gsync will no longer be activated until a computer restart. Sometimes it does reactive for a few minutes but alt tabbing usually disables it again or switching games.

Either way, i've learned that RAM can cause this issue, which makes sense because the only part ive kept in the last two computers is my RAM, and it worked on neither computer.

I'm sorry if I made myself look like an ass, but I research before posting, and It's very unlikely user error afaik.

Thanks for the additional information :)