Question Gsync Not Working - New Monitor

sa1f

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Hello

I bought a Msi mag 32cqr today and have a 1080ti as I read the monitor is freesync and gsync compatible.

I tried using online guides to enable gsync but am having no luck. Its connected to my pc using display port. I also updated the driver to 431,60 using the Nvidia website and restarted the PC

-In Nvidia control panel , for the setting "monitor technology" I put it as "gsync compatible". I also put vertical sync as "on"
-Then on setting "setup Gsync" I enabled it on fullscreen and windowed. Within that window, under " 3" when i click "enable settings for the selected display model" that box doesnt stay ticked when i press apply. I've seen other youtubers have it always ticked, even after pressing apply (maybe this highlights an issue? Im not sure)

-I tried nvidias pendulum test , from their website. When i run it, I can hit 138ish fps.
-I can enable Vsync or turn it off within the Pendulum software and the setting "Gsync" is not greyed out.
-When i press it though, it flickers then goes back to the previous setting which is either Vsync or off.

Anyone help with this please
Thanks!

sa1f

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Did you turn on Freesync in the monitor?

As stated above, you need to turn on Freesync in the monitor menu. Then after, you will be able to turn on GSYNC in Nvidia control panel.

Freesymc was turned on when i tried those tests.

I've added some images of my settings

View: https://imgur.com/a/0FzsusM

Numbering refers to the description of the images above, and its from top to bottom order (1-6)

1/2 - shows my Gsync setting is on with Vsync also enabled as I read Vsync should only be disabled in games

3/4 - shows the Gsync section where I enabled it/put it to windows. However in image 3, section "3" that ticked box becomes unticked when I click "apply" and this is seen in picture 4. This seems like an issue which might cause the pendulum software issue as other youtubers enable the setting and it stays clicked affter they press apply

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFSP20pWPY8
(2mins, 33 seconds )

5/6 - This shows other resolution/hz options.

I've added a video using fraps to show the pendulum test not allowing me to keep "gysnc" on

https://streamable.com/okv3i

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have those three options in gsync setup. Are you running multiple monitors?

Regarding vsync, vsync is used to cap fps so they remain within gsync range so you should have it on or application control and enable in game if fps exceeding the refresh rate is an issue.

sa1f

Honorable
May 27, 2013
I don't have those three options in gsync setup. Are you running multiple monitors?

Regarding vsync, vsync is used to cap fps so they remain within gsync range so you should have it on or application control and enable in game if fps exceeding the refresh rate is an issue.

Hey mate,

I no other monitors connected with this. The mag 32qcr is freesync but gysnc compatible, which might be different to yours as I'm running a 1080ti (dont know if you're running amd gpu/ free sync monitor or nvidia/gysnc monitor which might mean those options dont appear).

I've looked around and cant find any answers so not sure if its the monitor as otherwise, its so awesome in colour/size/price

TRENDING THREADS