Gsync + Vsync causes massive stuttering and screen tearing.

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
So I read a lot of threads, and practically every person said using Gsync is useless without vsync. I tried using both and playing Fortnite became unplayable. The game freezed a lot. I didn't see any sources for where they got their information from so I don't really know how to fix the issue, because now my frames are dropping by 20-30 frames every 20-25 seconds.

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Well my monitor is an acer with g sync, and when I played fortnite I enabled v sync in CP but disabled it in game. I dont remember seeing an auto option, were you talking about having the option on?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
You have to turn off V-Sync when you are using a G-Sync enabled monitor with G-Sync activated in the Nvidia control panel (there is a G-Sync section in the control panel).

With G-Sync you will not experience any screen tearing at all!!

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Well that confuses me. There are so many people saying gsync is better with vsync, and now you are saying something different. Even when I had it off it did nothing to help. I heard you need to cape the fps 2-5 frams below your refresh wate in order to prevent hitting the gsync ceiling.

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Sorry but even using gsync I got screen tearing. The motherboard can't be causing stuttering can it? I also have the latest drivers. I didn't hear anything about it being a windows 10 issue and I didn't hear it was a fortnite problem either.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Here explains it, make sure to read it all.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97294-When-I-have-Gsync-enabled-should-that-capp-the-fps-to-240

Cap your frame rate to the maximum refresh or 1or2 fps less is a good idea. Fortnite has an fps limiter.

Monitor your cpu and gpu usage, temps and frame rates with Msi afterburner.

List your system specs and monitor.

If your in Gsync range you shouldn't get any screen tear or input lag. If you are there could be something else wrong like cpu usage too high causing fps dips or something is overheating causing to throttle.

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I don't think my CPU is overheating or throttling, it stays around 25 to 50 percent when gaming. It can go up to 71 percent with discord on. My GPU (GTX 1060 6GB) stays at a constant 90+ percent. Usually over 95 or 97. CPU is Ryzen 5 1600 btw. Could my motherboard be the problem? (X370 Gaming Plus MSI)?

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I have the latest Nvidia drivers right now and I have not seen any compatibility issues Nvidia addressed for the update or any website either. I didn't see Microsoft address an issue like this with a solution that worked for improving the screen tearing/freezes/microstutter on my monitor. I also reduced the refresh rate of my 144hz monitor to 120hz, and the second monitor is 60hz. I checked for viruses, and I am certain there are none after scans and looking through the files and programs. Does ryzen need dual channel? I only have one stick of RAM in the RAM slot.

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Yup. I tried that before you suggested it as well. I don't plan on mixing sticks either, and overclocking my ram went terribly. Won't push beyond 2133mHz. Are there any known issues with using DisplayPort and DVI? I'm using both cables.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Thats not surprising. Overclocking ram past it's rated speed is extremely difficult and unreliable, that's why ram are sold at various speeds. If want 3000Mhz frequency then need 3000Mhz ram. If you did buy 3000Mhz ram for example and can only get 2133 then setting xmp may help but Ryzen is very particular about ram.

I've posted a reply to someone having memory problems if it helps you in anyway.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3802805/tech-support-3000-mhz-corsair-16gb-single-x470-mobo-amd-2700x.html

Shouldn't be any problems. Was more about the possibility the 2nd monitor was causing Gsync and refresh rate issues on your main monitor. It's been known to happen in earlier drivers.

the kings of pi

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Even with V-Sync off nothing happened. And also even if the 2nd monitor (AOC monitor 60HZ) was unplugged and fully disconnected, no positive change was made. All the issues kept persisting. Doesn't V-Sync only activate when your refresh rate is reached? And I'm pretty sure G-Sync deactivates when you hit the ceiling or refresh rate. Overclocking the GPU did nothing either.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
First generation of Gsync from memory runs vsync on by default and wont exceed refresh rate. Case with my acer xb270hu frame rate wont go above 144fps but because it's still in Gsync range there's no input lag.

2nd generation Gsync disables vsync if under refresh and enables when over. Try cap fps to 143.

What monitor is it?