[SOLVED] GT 1030 compatibility with MSI H55M-E21

Anonymoux_008

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
I am planning to buy a gt 1030 for my current build which has a MSI H55M-E21 mobo and a first gen i3-540 with 4 gigs of RAM.(Pretty crap PC ik but its about 8 yrs old or even more).

So coming to the main question :
I have read on some thread that gt 1030 needs a mobo with uefi bios while on some threads i have seen people saying that uefi/legacy bios doesnt matter as long as the mobo has pcie-x slot which mine does so, i want to know whether the gpu will be compatible with my pc or not?

You can check the list of bios updates for the mobo here : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H55ME21#down-bios
I am on the version 17.1 and judging from the description of the updates i am not sure if the bios updates would help with gpu compatibility.

P.S : pls dont recommend me higher end graphic cards and such stuff... i am gonna buy a used card just as a temporary upgrade as i am planning for a ryzen+navi build once the new gen launches and currently dont have much money to spend and also i already had to turn down a 750ti cuz my pc has a local crappy psu of 500w(not sure how reliable that rating is) so rn its either a gt 1030 or r7 240 for me as every other card is either expensive or cant be used due to my crap psu and i really dont want to invest much in this current build.

Solution
Frying your PC because of a BIOS mismatch is not gonna happen. Worse case scenario; the card won't produce a display. But even the chances of that is slim.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It should be plug and play. Pop it in and turn on the PC. Boot to Win and install the driver. Done. THe GTX 1030 will run on both UEFI and Legacy BIOS. Btw, the GTX 750 Ti (no 6-pin) will run on a crappy 500W PSU just fine. But the GTX 1030 is about the same performance, so there's that.

Anonymoux_008

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
It should be plug and play. Pop it in and turn on the PC. Boot to Win and install the driver. Done. THe GTX 1030 will run on both UEFI and Legacy BIOS. Btw, the GTX 750 Ti (no 6-pin) will run on a crappy 500W PSU just fine. But the GTX 1030 is about the same performance, so there's that.
ahh okay i dont really want to risk my pc being fried lol and the performance is pretty much the same so 1030 seems the more reliable option i was just worried about the mobo compatibility since i have seen some threads where it's mentioned that the newer nvidia cards dont support legacy bios and shit so i was doubtful about that my motherboard is non uefi so i was quite worried. BTW do i need to update my bios or would it be fine since the update description doesnt really state anything that will help regarding hardware installation.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I'd say put the card in place and see if it works (it most probably will without the BIOS update).

Update BIOS if you need (slight chance the card won't work without it or you have stability issues later) as updating it always comes with some degree of risk. Anything goes wrong during the update process from loss of power to other complications the motherboard would be bricked and require replacement of BIOS chip etc.