Question GT 1030 for 144hz?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. And no.

Yes, it'll run in windows environment just fine, frequency has nothing to do with the gpu as such. Can even watch YouTube without issue. It'll even run old games that high.
No, it simply really does not have the graphics power necessary to run newer games at that fps. So it'll work, but be no different to a standard 1080p @ 60Hz.

Reactions: Vurow

Vurow

Prominent
Apr 28, 2019
Yes. And no.

Yes, it'll run in windows environment just fine, frequency has nothing to do with the gpu as such. Can even watch YouTube without issue. It'll even run old games that high.
No, it simply really does not have the graphics power necessary to run newer games at that fps. So it'll work, but be no different to a standard 1080p @ 60Hz.
So there's no effect with a 144hz monitor
It doesn't support it at all? Because I have a 144hz monitor and it isn't working but I feel like it might be the adapter I'm using so I'm asking if my graphics card (GT 1030) can even support 1080p and 144hz

I tried googling and no one gave a straight yes or no answer, just long paragraphs that made 0 sense to the question

Vurow

Prominent
Apr 28, 2019
You need to expand on why you think it isn't working.

As above, it'll display to a 1080p/144hz monitor just fine, but you won't get full use out of the monitor in certain scenarios (e.g. gaming).
I think it isn't working because I might be using the wrong adapter but before I go and buy an expensive adapter, I want to know if my graphics card/PC can support 144hz in the first place since I can't find a straight answer

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpus do not 'support' frequency as such. They are regulated by resolution. You can use an old and super wimpy GT710 on a 144Hz monitor without issue, even use old igpu from a core2 duo. The 144Hz is just the refresh rate of the monitor, gpu doesn't have anything to do with that.

Cpu regulates fps. Gpu is regulated by detail settings and resolution. Eg: if your cpu can dish out 100fps, it sends that to the gpu. The gpu puts that fps on the screen at your detail settings, 100fps. If the monitor is 60Hz, the best you'll 'see' is 60fps even though the gpu is painting 100 frames per second. If the monitor is 144Hz, you'll 'see' every single one of the 100fps painted by the gpu.

Video still picture takes up next to no power to reproduce, so even an igpu has no issues putting up 144fps on a 144Hz monitor in a windows environment. Graphical picture is entirely different as every pixel is changed from frame to frame. Takes a huge amount of power to get 144 frames painted every second, to cover every single pixel.

Your GT1030 will have no issues with Windows on 144Hz monitor, but plenty of issues with Games at 144fps, it simply is not strong enough. Of course if you have a slow, weak cpu then even that changes things because even with a powerful gpu, if the cpu can't do 144fps then you'll never get 144fps.

The GT1030 supports 144Hz monitors either in the DisplayPort or HDMI port, but the DVI port is single link, therefore only 60Hz.

Last edited:

Vurow

Prominent
Apr 28, 2019
What "adapter" are you using? And why?
Not exactly sure but it looks like this
8diHKRQ.png

And I'm using it since I only have a DP and HDMI thing on my PC and the monitor is both HDMI (but only 60hz) and DVI but I don't have DVI so ye
Your GT1030 will have no issues with Windows on 144Hz monitor, but plenty of issues with Games at 144fps, it simply is not strong enough. Of course if you have a slow, weak cpu then even that changes things because even with a powerful gpu, if the cpu can't do 144fps then you'll never get 144fps.
I play Fortnite and my game runs fine, above 150 fps so I'm perfectly fine on FPS

anyways ur answer was all I needed, thank you so much :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dvi-d and dvi-dual look almost the same, dual link is solid :::::::: —, single link is ::: ::: — . Dvi-i is different its :—: has the 4x holes in addition.

You need to see what kind of dvi input the monitor is, if it's single link dvi-d or dvi-i then you are SOL, but if it's dual link then you can get an Active adapter that'll change a DisplayPort gpu signal to dvi-dual.

If the hdmi is only 60Hz it's an older monitor since anything newer is running hdmi 2.0 or better, with hdmi 1.4 you can get 120Hz at 1080p.

As expensive as an active dp-dvi dual adapter is, it's often cheaper to just get a DisplayPort capable monitor. My Asus VE248Q was less than $100, a Startech adapter on Amazon is $155

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's dual link dvi. It's the only port that will handle 144Hz, the hdmi technically has enough bandwidth but is restricted to 60Hz. You'll not be able to use the hdmi and get 144hz.

With costs of @ $100+ and no guarantee you actually will get 144Hz and not the more common 120Hz, an adapter is a last ditch decision. Personally you be better off upgrading the gpu to a gtx1050ti or higher, which has a dual-link dvi output. And selling the GT1030 to offset the purchase. (or return it)

TRENDING THREADS