Question Gt 1030(GDDR5) Or Rx580

Feb 8, 2023
Alright so in my previous thread I asked some stuff about the PC that I bought(it's arriving in like an hour or so), now I got another question.
Alot of people recommend me to buy a gt1030 since it won't get bottlenecked by the CPU(A6-6400k), but the thing is, an rx580 is cheaper(like 10bucks cheaper(IDR to USD)) and from what I see on YouTube, it got more performance than a gtx1660ti/super.
I know that the GPU is gonna get bottlenecked by the CPU but how bad is it? Like will I get more performance from the gt1030(GDDR 5) or the rx580(Sapphire Nitro)?
I'm asking this because I feel like the Rx 580 is a bit more future proof.
I'm gonna get a new pc in a year or so, the one that I bought is a temporary one because my laptop suddenly died.
But before getting the GPU I wanna change/upgrade the RAM and the power supply.
Edit: The Power supply I'm talking about is a Corsair CV650 650W 80 plus bronze

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well cpu wont push 580 to it's potential but that 'level' of pushing will still be significant over the 1030. Regardless of bottleneck, which is more about fps strain on cpu, which you can help that by upping graphics settings to manage that. Gt1030 won't handle higher settings the 580 will so yeah go for it.

Reactions: Sokha_Khan
Feb 8, 2023
Well cpu wont push 580 to it's potential but that 'level' of pushing will still be significant over the 1030. Regardless of bottleneck, which is more about fps strain on cpu, which you can help that by upping graphics settings to manage that. Gt1030 won't handle higher settings the 580 will so yeah go for it.
Alright thanks man

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem. Probably strain on cpu makes it sound bad, i meant cpu usage can increase to heightened levels where stutters may be possible. Increasing details can put more load on graphics card and less on cpu because fps demand would be less so less work cpu needs to do. Depending where fps sits of course and the kind of game being played, if you notice stutters at all, probably not, then just monitor cpu usage and lower fps either by capping or increase details to a comfortable level.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Sokha_Khan

just be sure the RX 580 is still working properly before you buy it.

there are a lot of mined cards being sold right now. And RX 580 is among the more popular ones for mining.

if an RX 580 is being priced lower than a 1030, that's already one danger sign that there might be something wrong with it.

Last edited:
I know that the GPU is gonna get bottlenecked by the CPU but how bad is it? Like will I get more performance from the gt1030(GDDR 5) or the rx580(Sapphire Nitro)?
I hate to be that person but few if any games that require the power of an RX 580 will run successfully on a 2 core/2 thread CPU. I think your going to be very disappointed with the performance you will get.

Can I ask what games you would like to play?

Get the RX 580. Sure, the CPU will be the limiting factor but it won't be any slower than a GT 1030 and when you finally upgrade your CPU, the new CPU will be much faster with the RX 580. There's no reason on Earth that a GT 1030 should cost more than an RX 580 which absolutely kills it in performance and has at least double the VRAM.

The GT 1030 is a glorified video adapter while the RX 580 is a real gaming card.

Feb 8, 2023
I hate to be that person but few if any games that require the power of an RX 580 will run successfully on a 2 core/2 thread CPU. I think your going to be very disappointed with the performance you will get.

Can I ask what games you would like to play?
Csgo, GTA V , some low end indie games(prob gonna put it on like med-high graphics), Roblox.