[SOLVED] GT 730 help (or low budget replacement)

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Hi all, looking for a little bit of advice on my sons GT 730 graphics card

Bought him a basic setup for Christmas as a first PC that's his own. He doesn't do any heavy work...mostly using YouTube for drawing, and playing basic games (he plays Friday Night Funkin', Poppy play time mostly)

I loaded up poppy playtime this morning and it was quite laggy, and he played some Friday night funkin and although it looked fine to me, he said it was lagging. I've fitted plenty of GPU's before, but never had any problems with them before so this is a bit new to me

All the drivers I've tried to install from nvidia are apparently incompatible, can't get anything through geforce experience. From what I've seen online it's a bit of a minefield with this GPU....anything from different versions on different architecture to GT 4xx being rebadged.

I'm not at home at the moment so will be able to provide some more info later. It seems possible/likely that the version I have is on fermi architecture so isn't supported in driver updates past 2018. If that is the case, does it simply mean I'll need to replace the graphics card? And if so what would be recommended for very basic gaming please? GTX 9 series and above would be overkill at this time for what it will be used for

The limited info I have at the moment is from a picture I took from Speccy early this morning :

Device ID: 10DE-0F02
Revision: A2
Subvendor: Undefined (0000)
Current performance level: level 0
Driver version: 23.21.13.9135
BIOS Version: 70.08.ae.00.8d

Hope this is enough info until I get some more from GPU Z

Thanks so much in advance

Solution

Bought him a basic setup for Christmas as a first PC that's his own. He doesn't do any heavy work...mostly using YouTube for drawing, and playing basic games (he plays Friday Night Funkin', Poppy play time mostly)

I loaded up poppy playtime this morning and it was quite laggy, and he played some Friday night funkin and although it looked fine to me, he said it was lagging. I've fitted plenty of GPU's before, but never had any problems with them before so this is a bit new to me

All the drivers I've tried to install from nvidia are apparently incompatible, can't get anything through geforce experience. From what I've seen online it's a bit of a minefield...

bencomputerhelp

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Fermi is not supported anymore. If you want something better, but do not wish to spend much on it, I would check facebook marketplace or whichever service people in your area use. You could get a good deal on something like the hd 6850, 6870 or gtx 750ti, 950 etc.

All the drivers I've tried to install from nvidia are apparently incompatible, can't get anything through geforce experience. From what I've seen online it's a bit of a minefield with this GPU....anything from different versions on different architecture to GT 4xx being rebadged.

I'm not at home at the moment so will be able to provide some more info later. It seems possible/likely that the version I have is on fermi architecture so isn't supported in driver updates past 2018. If that is the case, does it simply mean I'll need to replace the graphics card? And if so what would be recommended for very basic gaming please? GTX 9 series and above would be overkill at this time for what it will be used for

The limited info I have at the moment is from a picture I took from Speccy early this morning :

Device ID: 10DE-0F02
Revision: A2
Subvendor: Undefined (0000)
Current performance level: level 0
Driver version: 23.21.13.9135
BIOS Version: 70.08.ae.00.8d

Hope this is enough info until I get some more from GPU Z

Thanks so much in advance
In my opinion, the low end GPU currently available for a newer system would be the GT1030. Prices on GPU's are high overall due to world events and crypto-mining, but you can get one for sub $200. A GTX 1650 would be a better choice but the price is far beyond their value.

Solution

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Brilliant thanks for your responses guys :) was hoping I could salvage something of the current card but it's not a massive problem to replace

Managed to get a bit more info, not that it will make much more difference

Co BIY

Splendid
OK - I had to search and then play Friday Night Funkin' ...

I was not good at it.

It played fine though on my i3-2120 with integrated graphics.

Integrated graphics of that era seems sufficient for all browser based games that my kids play on this machine. They are even able to go head to head over the home network in Starcraft and Age of Empires.

My kids also really love Slither.io.

To play the multiplayer Minecraft games though they go to the brother's machine with a hand-me down 750 Ti.

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Had a play around for the last couple of days and all seems a bit better now

I uninstalled and installed so much, I'm not even sure which driver version is running now 😂

Friday Night Funkin' is working perfectly now and I installed Minecraft bedrock and that also runs perfectly fine. The only problem seems to be Poppy Playtime (but he's said he's not too bothered anyway)

We're going to see how he goes with it for now and he "gets into" gaming more on the PC I'll look for something more substantial in 6 months or so

Thanks all for your help and advice, much appreciated :)