Question GT 730 upgrade/ram upgrade :

Sep 13, 2022
Hi , i recently moved from AZ to Conn and had to leave my pc behind , unfortunately i ending up buying a dell pc from Amazon ( don't laugh )
specs are as follows

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
20.0 GB
Nvidia Geforce GT 730
not sure what the Psu is , has i havent looked but that something i can deal with later
Basically i want to know whether or not i can upgrade the Ram which is DDR 3 1600 MHZ DIMM ( 4 slots ) to 2 x 16 G DDR 3
and what would be a sufficent GFX card to replace the GT 730 ideally im looking at a 4 gig card but not sure which would be best for this pc
I use it primarily for music production i use fruity loops and gaming and recently went to try out unreal engine 5 but the card could not support that .

any help or advise would be vastly appreciated as im looking to over haul this pc to a better standard than what it currently is
im not naive around a pc but would rather seek advise as to what i can take this machine up to to work as a fairly decent gaming machine
im not looking to run high end stuff i tend to play warframe as my main go to game but this machine just cant handle that.

anyhows thanks for reading and look forward to any suggestions you could make or offer.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
it's not possible to make gpu suggestions without knowing what PSU you have in that rig.

____

I use it primarily for music production i use fruity loops and gaming and recently went to try out unreal engine 5 but the card could not support that .

this article gives an idea on what you need for Unreal Engine 5

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022
Baseboard manu : Dell inc Baseboard Product: 0F5C5F Baseboard Version: A00
Psu model no H290AM-00 290 watt

I get that this is a reconditioned pc and brought very cheap to serve as a bind me over
Hope the above info helps

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
you can make upgrades, but the first thing that has to be upgraded is the PSU. 290 watt from a stock PSU is too low. That thing I assume is also old, so we don't even know if it's still delivering the advertised 290 watt.

___

for GPU upgrade on your rig. You could get a GTX 1650 if budget is a bit low, or if you have a little more cash to spend.. RTX 3050, RTX 2060 could also be used. Just be sure to measure if the gpu will fit into your case.

edit: from what the other posts say, it seems PSU upgrade won't be easy. If PSU cannot be upgraded, the 1650 is your best choice.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022
@Punky Tone

yeah, if the PSU cannot be upgraded. GTX 1650 is the highest you can go.

also edited my previous post.
Not sure if i would have to start a new thread so forgive me if im posting this incorrectly as I'm new to this site.

so i came across this from a certain online supplier ( name withheld ) my model is a dell optiflex 7020

would this Psu be sufficent to replace the current psu in order to support a higher graphics card like the GTX 1650?
Power Supply for Dell Optiplex WHN49 3020 7020 9020 290W 8-Pin MT Only
  • Brand Replace Power®

• Upgrade your 290W Power Supply with this 420W Power Supply
  • Comes with 8-pin Motherboard Connector + additional connectors for upgrading or adding new components
  • Reduced Depth for Increased Compatibility; 5.9" Height x 3.4" Width
  • Over Current and Over Power Protection; Over Voltage and Short Circuit Protection
  • 110-260V AC Switchable Power Supply

The hilarious thing about that PSU is if you add up the amps on the label it comes out to 290w so the only thing they could be bothered to change was the name. A claimed 16A on the 12v is not a lot, and I'd certainly trust the OEM PSU a lot more.
619wLV6Ud1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

What a wonderfully weird combo! The HD Graphics 4600 IGP in that i5 is roughly as fast as the GDDR5 GT730 and faster than the DDR3 versions, especially the Fermi.

Sep 13, 2022
so i did a bit of digging around online and came across this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGWRTHC/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
*edited as psu shown was 240 V and not 110

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-500-W3-...0+5.5+x+5.9+x+3.4,electronics,114&sr=1-1&th=1

would those be a viable option ?

I hope i am not violating any site rules here if so it is not intended and though my original post was regarding a GFX, i hope it is ok to keep everything specific to this thread as it would seem I would have to replace the psu anyhows in order to facilitate a new GFX Card. Any info advise / would be appreciated . Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I had a Dell Inspiron 580 for almost 10 years. I was disgusted that there was so little I could do to upgrade it with a pitiful PSU, proprietary connectors and such. I ended up trying a 750 ti as it takes power from the GPU socket only and it worked. I still use that 750 ti in my backup PC. If you could find one it would be a decent choice.

I don't buy prebuilts anymore. Thank you Dell for making me realize there is no better option than building your own PC. Complete control over everything.

TRENDING THREADS