GT300 Additional Info!

Solution

More like a Valentine's day gift for your machine. Guess you didn't read the Anand article posted above;

"The price is a valid concern. Fermi is a 40nm GPU just like RV870 but it has a 40% higher transistor count. Both are built at TSMC, so you can expect that Fermi will cost NVIDIA more to make than ATI's Radeon HD 5870.

Then timing is just as valid, because while Fermi currently exists on paper, it's not a product yet. Fermi is late. Clock speeds, configurations and price points have yet to be finalized. NVIDIA just recently got working chips back and it's going to be at least two months before I see the first...

jennyh

Splendid
It's an interesting concept, but like everything else Nvidia tries, it will be strangled by their attempts to monopolise everything.

Nvidia's big problem is that everybody is their enemy, and right now they don't know if it's AMD or Intel who are their 'main' enemy. If they could actually work with AMD they'd have a chance with this, but they can't work with anyone.

Then again how good is the source ? Ever since Charlie gate i have been wary of those two.
they are calling the chip the GT300 again and its not its a G300. Also some of the articles on the right side look dubious to me as well. I read some and it looks like tabloid wrighting as far as i can see.

Thanks for the link MB but i will take some salt with this if its all the same to you

Mactronix :)

Theo's been referring to the 'GT300' since April or earlier, and I still can't work out when it started being called that or whether that's correct or incorrect and I feel we may not know until an up to date picture of the HSF shows up, until then keep the rumours coming, some of them may even turn out to be true. :)

4745454b

Titan
Did Nvidia even stop to think small? I don't see how they will scale this down at all. Turn off 2 clusters like they did for the GTX260, and your down to 448"SP". Turn off another 2, and your down to 384. (this could be a main stream GTX340 part?) My problem is that this is only 100+ more shaders then the GTX280. With such reductions, will it still outperform the GTX280? As a cut down chip, will they have the same problem that they had with the GTX2xx series in that the previous generation was faster/cheaper to make?

I had a thought while reading that article, I have no clue if this is possible. Would Nvidia even have to build a tessalator(?) into it, or could they simply pass the information on as a c++ instruction and let the SPs do it? It would be an interesting solution to the "where to put the tessalator on this massive chip" problem.

G

ohohoho this will be a beats of a card. This is the answer why nvidia was holding this chip so long, they want to release something special and this is a real revolution in architecture since G80. 512cores 6gb gddr5 and 3 billion of transistors need time to accomodate in one card. Im just waiting to see real bencmarks and say by by ATI.

G

hahah very intresting nvidia will aslo have gx2 card dont worry....

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
my opinion is this process will start again just like what happened when gt2xx and 4xxx came out. first 4850/70 beat all the 9xxxgt/gtx then nvidia came out with 260/280 which beat all the card. now we are at the same point again just one cycle ahead, dont you think so?

If this info is correct, it is very promissing that gt300 will be very competent with 5850/70.

It will take a fairly big screwup by NVidia not to beat the 5870, but that of course is only half the goal. To have the fastest single card, they'll need an X2. Which again, I'm sure they can do, but at what cost? They had to use 260's last time, but this card will be even more power hungry than before. All I know for sure is that this fight is going to be interesting. Both are trying to go beyond the technology/process they have, so it will be tough. And just one quick clarification, the 260/280 came out first and was very high priced, then the 4800s came out and NVidia had to slash prices.

The-Beast

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I don't believe we are, ATI seems to be in a position to take the crown immediately, or never allowing Nvidia to have it between the 5870x2 or a future endeavor (5890).

Then you have to wonder how much you're spending on a nvidia GPU and how much extra you're spending on what could very well be a useless onboard CPU.

Either way, I find multimonitor resolution gaming more relevant to my user experience than CPGPU encoding.

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Actually the 260/280 came out before the 4870/4850. When the 4870/4850 were released nvidia had some serious rethinking to do on the 260/280 prices.

Its good we finally have a reliable source linked, we still have no idea how it will perform though so the wait is still on and the Nvidia fans can stay in their box's for a while longer :lol:

Mactronix

chiquinho

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
It looks to me like NVIDIA is trying to compete with INTEL and AMD, the only problem NVIDIA wil have is the cost of GT300. AMD 5870 and 5850 will lower their prices ounce NVIDIA cards become available.

vmardegan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
That's it folks...

Completely new chip, revolutionary/innovative design and a ton of brute force processing power. In addition, modular cores and scalable interface to make an easy spin-off of simpler versions (and improve yields by recovering chips that does not have all cores running).

If all comes together right, behold the new 8800GTX. That kind of a card that will cost an arm and a leg, but it will last 3+ years and it will left the new 5870 eating dust. If history repeats itself, it will take about two generations for ATI to catch up.

I wonder what the ATI fanboys will talk about it know... Well, maybe they will say that it will be expensive, or the power consumption will be high or that they will wait to see some benches and a real working card before saying anything... It would be better just face the inevitable: Second place and midrange market is where you belong dear newborn 5870... enjoy your few days at the top, because you're going to the mid-shelf row in a heartbeat...

Now I want even more for Christmas to come... That'll make a great gift for my machine!

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I think nVidia is going in totally wrong direction, and that is only because they cant do anything in the 3D gaming part to counter ATI. Their architecture just doesn't give them any chance for moving.

The thing is that they really admit they have no choice. To be pushed in a corner and then say you wanted to be in that corner is just plain obvious you are in serious trouble.

Putting all their eggs in the GPGPU basket and going strictly in that direction would hurt you or even kill you if you cant succeed. Thats very risky move on nVidia side.

Anyway we will wait and see what are the actual performance of this beast and of course the price :).

Just one note - So many new things it must be - quote "fckng hard" to write good drivers for that thing to utilize it well. Anyone smell driver problems ATI had at first? :)

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
GT300 seems pretty awesome. However, the chip is huge, so lower yields = expensive. I also want to point out that the power consumption will be extremely high. With all the extra stuff for compute...you'd have to be crazy to hold your breath on graphics performance before any real benchmarks are out.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006

Dude you make me laugh. Not because of the rumbling you just spew, but because you are so blind Fanboy that all that matters to you is that your nVidia wins. Too shallow brain. Try to get yourself out of that hole and you will see a better world

Very interesting articles. It would have been nice if they had released more info, but I suppose this early on they don't know yet (power and clocks, that is). In the compute side some of those improvements look huge. And keeping the memory bandwidth at a more reasonable 384 should also help with price.