GT300 NEWS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Like I said, the PC has more potential, and I have never said it was worse than consoles, just ATM especially with no new cards for a couple of months, I'd choose consoles because its just a pop in a play situation.

What I have been afraid of and is looking pretty bad, is the piracry level. I mean more developers are more confident in consoles than they are on PCs. Look at Dark Sector, its a port game, not a game built for PC.

I wasn't trying to really argue anything persay but, I am trying to point out that it might be a easier approach to acheive the same thing.

yes I know there are alot of exclusives out there for PC, I never said there were, but even the people from Crysis said that piracy is making things sketchy.

I would say the biggest future PC has is MMORPGs and steam (or steam styled).

So agian nothing against pc gamin, I've been pc gaming since doom 1, but the future looks very unstable if piracy isn't handled to a certain extent...yes I know easier said than done.

But we're getting off topic.

I bought a 4770 today though:) for my secondary it runs well, kinda shocked though...39 idle????? WTF!!!!!!

@Stranger, well with the years we had, renaming, and cr@ppy cards and just empty promises (both from Nvidia and AtI, although lately more from Nvidia). wouldn't you be overloaded?

Oh PS, any getting FUEL?

jennyh

Splendid
I have one of my 4770's currently idling at 45C overclocked to 830/850 in my main system. Just trying it out while I wait on my new mobo's arriving.

My temps are pretty horrid though, this case has zero airflow. It's still idling a good 10C lower than my 4870 does though lol.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Mine is in the living room, little air flow, but there is air flow...though the case sux, so still shocked.

Now I need a hammer to hammer it in m laptop:)

jennyh

Splendid
Have you benchmarked it yet btw?

Cat 9.5 won't run 3dmark06 (lol) so I can't get my score. I had it oc'd to 850/1000 and I was seeing higher numbers than my 4870 though, so I'm thinking 16000 or so with a Q6600.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I wish, haven't had time, only thing I ran on it was source SDK test lol. My dad is always in the living room watching sports and surfing lol...so no chance at touching it:p but I want to try out hawx and grid asap at 1080p, and see how it does:D

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

that sucks... you should really try it, looks amazing. are you really 21 years old if you dont mind?

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Somebody missed the boat on what larrabee is going to do. Larrabee isn't meant to stand on it's own as a graphics chip for any long period of time. It's meant as a second step in creating SoC's and fully virtualized machines.

Think about this for a second. Larrabee has 16-32 cpus as far as we currently know. All of intel's mainstream parts have 4 cpus per socket this generation, with Xeon EX getting 8. Intel has to make many core programming and performance happen, and they have to do it within the next three years or so. Same for AMD, but they are taking a different approach that I don't believe will work as well.

What larrabee will accomplish for Intel is this - larrabee will be a full system on a board, cpus, memory, memory controller, bios, and OS. It's a transparent OS, not one a user will ever interact with, but it is there. It's a full cpu software rendering system on it's own, and it's also a highly parrallel cpu with it's own ecosystem that can be teamed with existing parts for some incredible HPC with very little hassle from a programming standpoint (assuming Intel delivers on software as well).

With this established, what do you think their next step will be? They aren't going to make a larrabee IGP, nor are they going to put it on die with the CPU. They are going to make all Intel systems run cpus that are essentially larrabee descendents. Your mother board may have need of a disk controller in addition to the CPU six years from now, but it won't need anything else (RAM and disks notwithstanding). Performance will depend entirely on how many cores the machine has. Your OS will only see 1 cpu, and will be running on top of a transparent firmware OS from Intel that virtualizes all resources in the box.

Forget memory protection, paging, 'sandboxes', cpu core affinity, etc. All hardware are belong to Intel in a transparent OS, with the OS we interact with being virtualized. Is this making sense yet guys? 100% hardware virtualization is step 3, larrabee is step 2 towards that (which establishes the system model), and Lynnfield+IGP+Virtualization capability is step one.

I for one think that this is pretty awesome. Consider the possibility of a single machine in your home that everyone can share, simultaneously, anywhere in the home. Integrated home computers will be the real big thing in ten to fifteen years, and a single box running many virtual machines will be the vehicle that drives it. These virtual machines may include MS Windows, but won't need to be Windows. In such a system there will be dedicated virtual OS's that run different things in the house, and serve different functions. Your computer will never power off, nor will it sleep, nor will it be something that you actually see.

Intel wants in your home, to be your media player, your game player, your TV, your online vehicle, etc. And they want to do it seemlessly and everywhere.