GT540M framerate drop

Snacks289

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I'm just assuming the video card is the problem, so I dropped this here. I'm not sure what it actually is, so maybe this could be moved to laptops later. No idea.

In certain games, the framerate drops notably for a few seconds, then goes back up. Assassin's Creed II and Mass Effect 2 run fine, then suddenly drop to about 15 fps for a couple seconds before going back. Other games just aren't seeing the performance they should: Modern Warfare 2 gets bad drops even though it's not a very demanding game, DX Human Revolution is basically unplayable on any video settings. Meanwhile, Source games and Super Street Fighter IV run almost perfectly all the time. It also had no difficulty with the Kingdoms of Amalur demo at any point. The video drivers are up to date, everything is set to use the Nvidia video and not Intel, what's going on?

Asus A53SV-NH51
i5 @ 2.40 ghz, GT 540M 1GB, 6GB memory.

Snacks289

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
It seems pretty random, or just periodic. It's not at demanding moments. Changing video settings seems to have no effect, and frankly this computer should be fine running these games at native anyway. It's not like I have on 8x AA.