[SOLVED] gt635: turns off randomly and seen as basic display adapter by windows

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
198869202_10220349268303352_1961458059734186117_n.jpg

after yesterday's thunderstorm, my gpu got fried. I've tried the wash technique, didn't work. after a 2nd go with a heat gun, this time for a minute on the cpu, it was stable into windows but i was stuck at 800x600. this is what gpu-z saw, it detected as a basic display, could not read the gpu details. i thus proceeded to install drivers and that's when the gpu lost power again and would not show up despite reseating and several reboots. its faulty so what do i look for and how do i fix this. help please?

Solution
The GPU has kicked the bucket. Your thread title doesn't identify the platform as a desktop or a laptop. If a desktop, you should be more concerned about the other parts in your system not to mention the PSU and you should also have an UPS alongside a surge protector.

Mind sharing the specs to your entire build, if a desktop? If a laptop, make and model of the laptop with an SKU would help us two fold. One more thing I noticed, alkl of us are pretty much on version 21H1, you're on 19H1. That's 2 years ago.

Lutfij

Titan
The GPU has kicked the bucket. Your thread title doesn't identify the platform as a desktop or a laptop. If a desktop, you should be more concerned about the other parts in your system not to mention the PSU and you should also have an UPS alongside a surge protector.

Mind sharing the specs to your entire build, if a desktop? If a laptop, make and model of the laptop with an SKU would help us two fold. One more thing I noticed, alkl of us are pretty much on version 21H1, you're on 19H1. That's 2 years ago.

Solution

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021

thanks but i'll just take it as dead because it randomly shuts down and can be brought back to life temporarily with a heat gun. i've done this 3 times all with the same result though i've given more heating time to the cpu on each attempt(the longest was a minute.) doing this over and over again isnt't practical. i'll just replace it.

Last edited: