GT740 Card plus onBoard HD Graphics 4600 not working together

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Hello,
I have a new mainboard Asus H97M-Plus with onBoard HD Graphics 4600
and Asus GeForce GT740 on the PCIe3.0 running.

3 monitors run on the graphics card, 1 or 2 other should run on the onboard graphics.

BIOS: CPU Graphics Multi-Monitor ---> needs to be enabled to use the card and onboard graphic as well. Done!

Choosing the primary display in BIOS is causing the computer to use either only the graphics card or only the onboard graphics. Its not possible to use monitors on both graphics engines only by one.

Is this configuration GT 740 + HD Graphics 4600
not allowed/possible? The card as well the board is from ASUS.

Btw: On my previous boards from ASUS I could use onBoard + Radeon HD 7750 as well and the BIOS with this new board gives the configuration to be able to use both. But it's not working

any help is appreciated!

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
This might be possible depending on your board. But this is really not recommended, i did that a while back on a asus board so i could use a VGA screen (integrated graphics) + a HD one (from my gpu) but i kept getting errors and weird things happened. So i would suggest not doing that if you really want 3 screens get a gpu thats got 3 outputs. By the way im no pro in this domain but this is my recommendation. Maybe a monitor expert could help you better.

Oh and i also had bad image quality on the integrated graphics monitor which is normal.

No, you cant run integrated graphics AND a dedicated GPU together and use all the ports. Its one or the other, and in your case that 740 is a small step better then the integrated graphics, it will at least allow you to play games.

You can kind of do this with AMD APUs if you have a card you can crossfire together.

Now what are you doing to need to use 5 video ports on your computer?

KA2

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
I did use 4 screens over a few years now, lots of photoshop and other graphics stuff. No probs.

@Boostedg I wrote that BIOS is allowing this and earlier boards also as I used this long time

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

This is wrong. You can use integrated graphics + GPU but it requires a twist or two. (i have done it before)

My apologies, the newer intel chipsets have apparently added the ability to do this.

You will only be able to do an extended desktop onto the screens but that doesn't sound like it will be an issue for your needs.
You should lookup your specific motherboard bios settings but the general instructions are as bjsm described.
From research this feature seems to work fine for some, and very troublesome for others.

KA2

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Also older chipsets have the ability to do so.
>> tab>video>integrated graphics device> set to “always enable”
such configuration is not in the BIOS for that board, not before, not after my BIOS Update

There are only the two configurations I mentioned in my first post, which are sufficient if this combination is working together.

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Yes exactly, all depends on the board but it does cause a lot of problems for some users

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

This is really hard to help with since you have to find the option in your bios. Maybe this board doenst support it but your old board did. You will have to do some research to figure if 1: its possible 2: what option you need to enable 3: see if it causes any problems. You also have to consider that having 4+ monitors on a low end gpu + igp might not has the performance you are looking for.

Hope this helps

KA2

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Please read my first post. I figured out the BIOS-Settings and the board is supporting it. Listing non exising settings doesn't help me here.

Furthermore the 740GT is not low end and I was never talking about 3 mons on GPU, they should run on the graphics card and one or two on the onboard. But its not even possible to run 3+1. This is an urgent prob for me and I was hoping for people knowing about this board and configuration. Better the admin can remove this question ;(

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Please make sure you describe your problem better.

"3 monitors run on the graphics card, 1 or 2 other should run on the onboard graphics."

"I figured out the BIOS-Settings and the board is supporting it" - You did not find the right option if its not working obv. According to your own statement where you said: "and the board is supporting it". Nothing proves it yet, state facts, links, examples.

This said there is no easy solution for this it involves research and a few tweaks and tries. If you are not willing to research it or go through your mobo's options then im afraid you are the problem. As you said close this thread if your not willing to help yourself. There is no generic answer here.

Good luck

KA2

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
you are not reading my questions and replying that personal and putting statements in my mouth I never wrote. OMG!

Why the hell do you write I'm not willing for research and checking the motherboard options??? I did check the option more than twice, read my posts then you know I figured out these two options as to be sufficient!

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Reviews your posts and learn to read better, you stated those obv.

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Did you not post this?

KA2

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

I'll likely do so, there is a second PCI-Slot matching the cards requirements of my previous card, so that should be fine ... just the cooling needs more space, but thats another prob

Status
Not open for further replies.