GTA 5 and It's Graphics Card

sanket91

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I want to Play GTA 5 (PC) , Which Entry Level Graphics Card will Help me to Play Smooth in Medium Settings , Not want to Play HD or on Full Intensive Settings.

Suggest me whatever should and must be Upgraded / Overclock.

I think if I can run current CPU with the Overclock , I like to try overclock to 2.6GhZ, so step by step guide or Point to Point Guide in Overclock will Helpful also.

My PC Configuration is Bit Old,

CPU : Core 2Quad 2.3Ghz - Intel Q8200
RAM : 4 GB DDR 3
MoBo : Intel DG33FB
SMPS : Intex 500W

My Budget is INR 5000/- to INR 6000/-

Solution

If can get the parts I suggested, you will get around 30 FPS solid. Check this benchmark video to have an idea:
GTA 5 Grand Theft Auto 5 (2015) Gameplay AMD Rad R7 250 - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 - 4GB RAM

That guy has a slightly higher frequency Q9300 processor, but yours too will do fine. With little more tuning in graphics settings you can easily get 30+ FPS.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Since you want to use eight year old tech to play a brand new game, you will have to over clock the system, which will put a higher demand on the power supply than it is used to.
It’s not the wattage, but the quality of the power supply. Under stress, the Intex will most probably crap out, potentially taking your motherboard, graphics card and CPU with it. That's why the new power supplies have the 80+ ratings. It means that when under load, they deliver smooth, continuous power within the specified rating.
Me? I'd invest in a new system. But I understand living on a budget.

yeskay

Distinguished

The intex would be ok for basic pc setup. When you add a graphics card, there is a very good chance that this poor brand may not be able to handle it. Please keep in mind that all the following branded PSUs are ok for basic daily work home pc setups - Zebronics, iball, Intex.

Even for basic setups I only trust Zebronics or iball. But with regard to intex, its one of the worst brands in the Indian market that don't have a history of delivering quality products. Since you're going to overclock your processor and get a new card, getting a new PSU is a must.

The important criteria in selecting a PSU is not the wattage but how much Amps it can produce on its +12V rail.

Regarding overclocking Intel Q8200 on Intel DG33FB, I won't recommend doing as its a basic motherboard. Even If you manage to overclock, I don't think you will get any noticeable performance improvement by pushing it to 2.6Ghz.

With that budget, you can only get a 2GB DDR3 graphics card. I would suggest you extend your budget a little and get the R7 250 1GB GDDR5 card that would out class any 2GB DDR3 cards in its range.

So here are the parts that I would suggest for any meaning full gaming experience:

Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R7 250 with Boost 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card Rs. 6950

Corsair VS450 Rs. 2425

The R9 250 require a 380W PSU that can deliver 18Amps or more on +12V rail.

Cheers!

yeskay

Distinguished

Read my previous comment to know why?

I think you've have only a 450W PSU not 500W. Because Intex has only 1 PSU listed in its official website that is 450W.

sanket91

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
Ok, Get the Point of PSU. ;)

Suggested VS series model which first member says to avoid, is there any advantage - disadvantages?

I also aware that my current system is Older to GTA 5, I have laptop that work around my all basics. Now I'm not into much gaming like earlier, so thought I'd like to overclock to Play One GTA5.

yeskay

Distinguished

If can get the parts I suggested, you will get around 30 FPS solid. Check this benchmark video to have an idea:
GTA 5 Grand Theft Auto 5 (2015) Gameplay AMD Rad R7 250 - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 - 4GB RAM

That guy has a slightly higher frequency Q9300 processor, but yours too will do fine. With little more tuning in graphics settings you can easily get 30+ FPS.

Solution

yeskay

Distinguished

First, the VS brand does well locally in India. You believe that single guy or see the local online reviews like Flipkart, Snapdeal and Amazon. They all satisfied with VS. My friend uses it well in to 2nd year now. Having said that there are better options if you're willing to shell out a few more bucks. Like this one:

Seasonic SS400BT PSU Rs. 3000
Seasonic Eco Series 430 Watts PSU Rs. 3350

Cheers!

Almost every power supply does well "locally in India". That's because most Indian people have PCs that cost 20000 with integrated graphics, and use power supplies that their local technician "suggests".
You believe that single guy or see the local online reviews like Flipkart, Snapdeal and Amazon. They all satisfied with VS.
That guy is me, and I'm as Indian as all the reviewers on Flipkart, Snapdeal and Amazon(who are not 'reviewers', but just 'opinioners' or 'experiencers').
The VS series is not made out of good quality components, there's a reason it's so cheap. It's almost a level cheaper than any of the others. Get a Seasonic S12II series 430W. It has good quality capacitors, and capacitors are what matters.
Here is a tutorial for this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2520345/faq-crap-psu.html

yeskay

Distinguished

The point you're missing is that the card he going to use is R7 250X which is a low profile card and the VS will handle it well. What I actually suggested was based on real world tests and the card the guy going to use. If VS is as bad as you suggest, it wouldn't be selling so well and with loads of positive reviews or "experiencers" (that's not even a word) like you said. Only people who buy and experience the product give "opinions" and share their "experiences" in those sites.

The statement you made that "most Indian people have PCs that cost 20000 with integrated graphics, and use power supplies that their local technician "suggests"", may be true to with brands like zebronics, iball or intex. But this is Corsair. So there is a reason why those sell for Rs. 500 or less, while Corsair is priced Rs. 2,400.

The R9 250 require a 380W PSU that can deliver 18Amps or more on +12V rail. The Corsair VS450 can produce a 34Amps on its +12V rail.

Equating Corsair to those local brands which usually don't deliver what they usually claim to be, is pure fear mongering by you, nothing else. The only reason you probably responded is that you may feel offended by what I said - "Believe that single guy or the online reviews". I still stand by that point. Because that Corsair is a decent PSU and can handle low to mid range cards.

I even suggested him that if he could expand his budget can get something like SeaSonic,if you read my previous comment. But it up to him to decide based on what his budget allows him to do. So next time, you try to focus you energy on giving meaningful tech advise like striking the right balance between recommending product and the person's budget, rather than fear mongering/misguiding people with your own blind assumptions or confronting others with rage. For this is tech forum, if you had forgotten.

No matter the brand, there are always some power supplies which should be avoided. Even Seasonic is no exception to this, with their ECO series.
Look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1873664/g210-gtx-650.html
Read the whole thread, not that long.
PSU's that run supposedly "fine" could be generating lots of problems that are rather subtle, and won't go away till the PSU is changed. The VS series is a budget line, and does not house good capacitors. The very last thing one should do cost-cutting on is the power supply.

yeskay

Distinguished

Just in your previous comments argued that VS series is bad. Now you saying budget line and does not house good capacitors. It's hard to believe someone who contradicts himself.

Yes they may come with japanese or taiwanese capacitors but not lower quality like chinese ones. This PSU comes under "Tier 3" list, meaning:

"Still safe to use and stable, just lower quality components than Tier 1 & 2. Some capacitors maybe Japanese, but can include the Taiwanese capacitors. Not really ideal in serious overclocking or super-high load situations, such as a Bitcoin mining rig or a high end gaming system."

This user is not using this PSU either for Bitcoin mining rig or a high end gaming. So it's completely safe and stable to use. Corsair markets this PSU as "VS Series is the entry-level line of 240 Volt power supplies with high-end features". The card is entry-level so is the VS series ok for budget builds. It's as simple as that. Only "Tier 4 & Tier 5" should be avoided. "Tier 3" is purely for low to entry level-mid range builds.

And your argument of SeaSonic ECO should be avoided is nothing but a cruel joke. This clearly shows you're here to make empty noises to defend your baseless argument and not aware of the fact that the SeaSonic 400W model is 80+ certified and the 430W is a 80+ Bronze Certified, are quality PSUs.

None of the statements I say here are my own, the thread I linked is my first, which proves I was at the OP's level too, one and a half years back.
I am merely quoting what I have heard from others, and I can provide the threads that I have heard those things on. But I don't have that much time right now.
Here is a website that lists the brands and origin of those brands.
capacitor.web.fc2.com
Aishi and CapXon capacitors are used in the VS450 PSUs. Aishi is Chinese, whereas CapXon is Taiwanese. CapXon is especially notorious, as the website states.
I totally understand if the S12II 430 isn't affordable, but the CX430 can be, and that's one I'm using in my own system. It has one PCI-E connector, and I'm running a core 2 duo e4600 and a GTX650 off it. It's not that good either, but atleast it has SamXon and Teapo capacitors, which are better than Aishi and CapXon(only if marginally).

I have respect for the PSU Tier lists, they're created by people more experienced than you and I. I don't want to continue this discussion, as it's neither my thread nor yours. If there's nothing else of value and the OP permits, either he or I could contact a mod to get the thread closed. If not, we could continue the topic in a fruitful manner, and not argue.
If you don't agree to this, please leave the thread.

yeskay

Distinguished

The solution was picked and then came your relentless meaningless argument. And I just responded to that. So it was you who started this non-sense, not me. I clearly suggested in my previous comments for you to concentrate your energy on providing meaningful suggestions. But you ignored that, continued with your bickering. You clearly are one frustrated person, who has now resorted to lowly blackmails and ordering fellow peers to leave the threads. You're welcome to call the moderators.

May be they will see what you failed to see.

To answer the original question, something equivalent to a GTX660 would be required for running GTA 5, and so you should go for a GTX750Ti or a GTX660, whichever are cheaper.
For running those, you'd require a 450W power supply, which unfortunately, your current Intex is not(although it says 500W, Intex knows that people running these systems rarely go above 200W(a 60-70W CPU such as a i3 or a Core 2 Duo, integrated graphics or low end graphics cards such as the Geforce 210, and a few fans and hard drives). So they make PSUs which are 500W on the outside, but deliver only 200-250W on the +12V rail).

If your power supply has 20A on the +12V rail, then it's regarded as a 240W power supply, regardless of the wattage on the label, as most of the system's power comes from the +12V rail. So you should be looking at a power supply with atleast 30 or so amps on the +12V rail.

Another thing to keep in mind when buying a power supply is whether it has good reviews or not. Wattage and current isn't everything - capacitors inside the power supply determine if it's delivering clean power to your other components. If the capacitors are bad, then they'll damage the components over time(6 months or a year or few years), generate more heat, cause subtle issues such as blue screens etc. Also, such power supplies don't have protection circuitry. If one rogue power surge occurs, your power supply will die, and you'll have to buy a new one.
So you should buy a power supply with good capacitors and protection circuitry.

sanket91

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
One More, if I go with suggested GPU ( R7 250 & PSU ) on Current Processor and MoBo, will it run gta 5 / compatible? After adding that hardware still Overclock Require? I don't think my bios support overclock, as I don't see any option for overclock into the BIOS. :'(

It should run, probably, but I'll not expect you to get very good framerates. Overclocking is not required per se, but it should help you get more performance out of your CPU. Unfortunately, you'll not be able to overclock, if your BIOS doesn't support it.