GTA 5 and Minecraft modpacks seem to run worse than they should?

Benton1234

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Okay, so my rig consists of this before we get any farther:
CPU: FX-8350 @ 4.7GHz Stable with 40C Idle and 63C Under load
GPU: R9 290 @ 1140Mhz Core and 1525Mhz Memory clocks stable with Idle: 35C and Load: 65C (MAX) VRM Temps (GPU-Z) VRM 1 MAX: 53C and VRM 2 MAX: 58C
GPU Drivers: AMD Omega 15.5 Beta drivers
SSD: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO (Rapid Mode Disabled)
RAM: 32GB's of G.Skill Trident 4x8GB @ 2133Mhz w/ manually configured timings
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 (Literally the most stable MB I have ever come across)

Anti-Virus and other protection:
Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 in Auto-Pilot mode
Malware-Bytes Anti Malware Pro
Malware-Bytes Anti Exploit Pro

I might just be expecting too much from my system lol but, when I play GTA 5 I play at 1080p with most settings maxed out (Except for anything in the Advanced tab) and MSAA at 2X. When I play with mods and drive around smashing and blowing everything up I easily dip into the high 30's while playing but usually sits around 45 FPS. This seems oddly low for everything I have?

I recently wanted to get back into an FTB modpack known as "Infinity". My FPS with all settings dropped to the lowest possible is usually: Min - 60FPS and Max - 135 FPS with Avg being 90FPS. I have turned MipMap levels off as this causes some very strange performance issues but I can not turn any settings up at all with out going below 70 FPS. I like smooth lighting at max but I drop to the 50's if I do... I do have my render distance set usually at 11 or 13 chunks which I don't consider too crazy.

Anyways, to sum it all up I really feel like something is not right here. I've dealt with it for a while since I just try to shrug it off but I'm tired of spending hours overclocking and optimizing as much as possible and still ending up with NOT being able to play my favorite games at 1080p maxed out on an R9 290 and FX-8350 OC'ed at 60FPS at least! I mean AFAIK 1080p is obsolete to some extent, I would imagine a (At the time) $500 GPU should be able to hold it's own?

One more side note: I am probably going to get a new GPU soon since my mom needs an upgrade from her HD 7950 and the Fury X is literally around the corner. BUT, I still would like as much input as possible from you guys since the Tom's Hardware community kicks major butt!

Thanks in advanced,
Benton1234

Solution
nope to be honest some reviewers even said that with a gtx 980 and a betterr cpu and system than yours and the game was getting high to low reaching 30 fps with things maxed at 1080p also i dunno how that gpu compares to a gtx 970 but eeven so you shouldnt be able to max the game (ultra) even in the normal graphics tab you should tune it down if you are having issues (all of this is for gta V since i dont have minecraft)

davmazin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
nope to be honest some reviewers even said that with a gtx 980 and a betterr cpu and system than yours and the game was getting high to low reaching 30 fps with things maxed at 1080p also i dunno how that gpu compares to a gtx 970 but eeven so you shouldnt be able to max the game (ultra) even in the normal graphics tab you should tune it down if you are having issues (all of this is for gta V since i dont have minecraft)

Solution

Benton1234

Reputable
May 31, 2014
That's what I had imagined to some extent since GTA is still way to resource heavy. I appreciate the insight though but, I also believe I'm going to be picking up a GTX 980TI Hybrid soon as the Fury X kind of bombed really badly.

I also realized something today as well when reading the benchmarks for the Fury X. The stutter I have felt in a lot of games for years is the "Frame-Time Variance" that has apparently plagued AMD cards for years. The FPS may be higher at times but because of the way AMD cards process frames it seems to create this abrupt stuttering and I know now I will definitely get an Nvidia card as I'm really OCD about my games running at 60FPS Smoothly.

I really do appreciate the comment as at least I know I'm not the only one experiencing the issues and so on.

Thanks again!