Question GTA 5 doesn't respect CPU power limits,

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I set a %45 max cpu power from windows power settings to reduce heat on my laptop, however GTA 5 does not limit the GHz in game as I monitor the task manager. I want my laptop operate at max 1.35ghz however when I start up the game ghz goes up to 3GHz or so. even after loading done. Limiting to lower ghz is possible at all? or perhaps my settings are corrupted on file so should I click "restore default power settings"? or even SFC scan? This is a laptop with buggy windows 11, OS is so alpha state I even got somesort visual problem where I cannot click my recycle bin.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power limit doesn't directly effect frequency, only the power draw. If it can still do 3Ghz at 45% power, then it will do so. If you want to set a frequency limit, then you need something like Ryzen Master or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Or go into the BIOS and set it there.

7W vs 15W or something, Typical CPU could boost up to 4 or so Ghz, if it is stopping at 3Ghz, then something is working.

But you aren't exactly providing enough hardware detail to say anything more specific.

Reactions: danny009

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Power limit doesn't directly effect frequency, only the power draw. If it can still do 3Ghz at 45% power, then it will do so. If you want to set a frequency limit, then you need something like Ryzen Master or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Or go into the BIOS and set it there.

7W vs 15W or something, Typical CPU could boost up to 4 or so Ghz, if it is stopping at 3Ghz, then something is working.

But you aren't exactly providing enough hardware detail to say anything more specific.

Hey I did this from tenforums and freq appeared in my power settings under CPU category, Plugged in: 0 Mhz shows. I think this is what you mean yes? What should I enter into max mhz box? thank you for reply

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...essor-frequency-windows-10-power-options.html

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
No bad news, it still reaches to 3ghz when game is in focus, outside on desktop its normal 1.30ghz or so.

I do not want to mess with these changes and settings anymore, can mess up something. For now I will do just fine hopefully with boost mode and turbo mode disabled and CPU power to %45 max. System cooling policy to Active.

This is a laptop and it is normal to get heat up,

Okay I told this to myself now, it is applied to my brain and saved changes.