Question GTA 5 gameplay request! (Info)

Jan 5, 2021
Hello!
I made a post here before asking for help as to why my games looked so much more different than my friends (who had similar, yet slightly lower end specs). The main game in question is GTA 5, but it also reaches other games aswell.

To make sure that we have enough footage/gameplay of the game to compare and find out whether this happens to others aswell, I would like to ask anybody (with a 1080p monitor) to send me gameplay of the game that mimics the video below (in the same location ofcourse), or just post it in the thread:

GTA 5 jaggies/shimmering
Thanks for your help!

Specs:

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
PSU: Corsair TX550M
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 580
Motherboard: B450 AORUS M

Monitor: ASUS VG249Q 1080p, 144hz

Jan 5, 2021
Gameplay in video seems fine. At least add glitch timestamps in description where to expect them. Most likely it is related to current monitor settings. Reset settings to default and test your gameplay again.
Thanks for the reply! I thought it was pretty obvious where the crawling textures were, but ill give you a timestamp that i feel is pretty bad: At 1:23, when i look at and zoom into the building corner in the distance, the shimmering seems to go crazy. Also, im sorry if the video is low quality, im not sure how to fix the youtube compression thing:/

Ill see if i can change any monitor settings and get a better picture.

Edit: forgot to ask! Do you have a 1080p monitor? It would be really helpful if you could link a file to the same gameplay footage as the video, but with your PC. By that, i mean if you could just quickly record your game. Thanks!

Nah, can't see anything on mentioned timestamp. Definitely reset your monitor and then try to realize which feature caused shimmering. Trace Free and ELMB would be primary things to check. And forgot to mention that ELMB does not play well with variable refresh rate (FreeSync in your case). Eq. use ELMB for GPUs without VRR/FreeSync support and vice versa.

I have 1080p monitor, but have no GTA V installed at the moment.

Jan 5, 2021
Nah, can't see anything on mentioned timestamp. Definitely reset your monitor and then try to realize which feature caused shimmering. Trace Free and ELMB would be primary things to check. And forgot to mention that ELMB does not play well with variable refresh rate (FreeSync in your case). Eq. use ELMB for GPUs without VRR/FreeSync support and vice versa.

I have 1080p monitor, but have no GTA V installed at the moment.
Thanks for the info! Ill try them out when i get the chance and update you.
Also, i dont know if its worth mentioning, but my ps3 had the same issues. It jagginess and shimmering on it looked terrible, and compared to my friends console, it was just far too obvious for both of us that somwrging wasnt right. We tweaked a ton of settings on the tv and ps3 but couldnt get it to look normal lmao. Now the same thing is happening on the pc, which is kinda scary

Joel_228

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Maybe try playing around with the antialiasing settings and see if that makes any change.
By the way the issue in the video is super obvious. Especially since you zoomed your gun in on all the obvious areas where it was occurring.

At 1:23, when i look at and zoom into the building corner in the distance, the shimmering seems to go crazy.
If you mean the object appearing disappearing that is called load distance, if they appear low quality at first and gain quality the closer you get it's called LOD( level of detail) distance.
These are settings you can change and will affect the FPS of your game, if they are not available from the in game settings they are definitely available by editing the ini files.

Jan 5, 2021
If you mean the object appearing disappearing that is called load distance, if they appear low quality at first and gain quality the closer you get it's called LOD( level of detail) distance.
These are settings you can change and will affect the FPS of your game, if they are not available from the in game settings they are definitely available by editing the ini files.
Thank you for making me aware of LOD. I would have nobproblem tweaking settings for slight performance downgrade, however my problem is that i dont believe that any of that should be necessary at all on my PC. Why does it feel like my PC naturally cant look and play as well as other PCs naturally can?
I really shouldnt have to give up that much performance for some basic anti aliasing, considering my specs. I dont understand why one PC at 1080p is not showing the same level of graphics and AA as another PC on the same resolution.

I made another gameplay video that hopefully does a better job at showcasing the terrible flickering in my game.
Ill upload it as soon as its ready (youtube taking its sweet time and all)!

A lot of what you showed in that video is regular for how a game works. For example at 1:50 when you are looking at that gate, the game is changing the level of detail loaded for that object. There are multiple textures for each object, with decreasing quality. When you are farther away from the object, it loads a lower detail model, in order to save processing power. I have actually experienced a glitch where the high LOD textures didnt load properly, and all I saw was the low LOD textures. You will notice this change in detail level more clearly when looking at something, like that fence, that has a distinct change between LOD levels. As for the jagged edges, that is also common, and is pretty much a similar reason to the first issue, where it is for resource saving. Messing with Graphics settings can make this affect go away, or at least be less noticable, at the cost of FPS.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
There is nothing to worry about mate, the jugged edges that you are seeing are very common on 1080p especially with older titles that uses outdated anti aliasing like GTA V. To fix the issue you need to enable frame scaling in the advanced setting, this will upscale the resolution then downscale it to 1080p, but be aware, this will cost you a good chunk of fps

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 5, 2021
A lot of what you showed in that video is regular for how a game works. For example at 1:50 when you are looking at that gate, the game is changing the level of detail loaded for that object. There are multiple textures for each object, with decreasing quality. When you are farther away from the object, it loads a lower detail model, in order to save processing power. I have actually experienced a glitch where the high LOD textures didnt load properly, and all I saw was the low LOD textures. You will notice this change in detail level more clearly when looking at something, like that fence, that has a distinct change between LOD levels. As for the jagged edges, that is also common, and is pretty much a similar reason to the first issue, where it is for resource saving. Messing with Graphics settings can make this affect go away, or at least be less noticable, at the cost of FPS.
Thanks for all the info! I just want to say that i would have no problem at all with this explanation, however my concern is that my PC might not be the same as other PC’s with the same specs. I compared with my friends pc on his 1050p, and i just dont understand why his antibaliasing works so much better than my pc does. I have tried everything to atleast lessen the effect, but it seems like my gpu just isnt powerful enough for some reason? What causes the difference in graphics, despite having similar specs as another pc?

Jan 5, 2021
There is nothing to worry about mate, the jugged edges that you are seeing are very common on 1080p especially with older titles that uses outdated anti aliasing like GTA V. To fix the issue you need to enable frame scaling in the advanced setting, this will upscale the resolution then downscale it to 1080p, but be aware, this will cost you a good chunk of fps
Hey, thanks for the reply! My problem is that no matter what i do, i cant seem to make the antibaliasing look like my friends pc with similar specs and a 1050p monitor. I have a 1080p, and im baffled as to why i have so much more jaggies than he does. My friend barely needs to use any aa, like fxaa and msaa x4 would be enough, or maybe some frame scaling. However, despite framescaling being better than no aa, my pc just doesnt seem to get the same results as his does, on the same sertings. Why is this?

Hey, thanks for the reply! My problem is that no matter what i do, i cant seem to make the antibaliasing look like my friends pc with similar specs and a 1050p monitor. I have a 1080p, and im baffled as to why i have so much more jaggies than he does. My friend barely needs to use any aa, like fxaa and msaa x4 would be enough, or maybe some frame scaling. However, despite framescaling being better than no aa, my pc just doesnt seem to get the same results as his does, on the same sertings. Why is this?
Turn off FXAA and turn on MSAA for best image quality

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
What is your friend's GPU? If it is Nvidia, then that might be the reason as the drivers has settings to remove jugged edges and shimmering objects, but not sure how AMD drivers work though.

Please try to use FXAA with frame scaling enabling, try to play this setting until you find a balance between quality and performamce. Btw do not enable MSAA is at is perfotmance hungry even on high end GPUs.

Thanks for all the info! I just want to say that i would have no problem at all with this explanation, however my concern is that my PC might not be the same as other PC’s with the same specs. I compared with my friends pc on his 1050p, and i just dont understand why his antibaliasing works so much better than my pc does. I have tried everything to atleast lessen the effect, but it seems like my gpu just isnt powerful enough for some reason? What causes the difference in graphics, despite having similar specs as another pc?
What GPU does your friend have. That could be the reason. I know, personally, that I sold an AMD RX Vega 56, and started to use my backup GPU, an Nvidia GTX 980. Even though the 980 is objectively worse performance, and my FPS did drop in GTA, my reflection and shadow quality looks better, even at the same settings.