GTA 5 Gtx 970 freezing/stuttering

lukasz12054

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Hi. Firstly I just wanna say this isn't a problem with my PC not being good enough or something...
I got a gtx 970, i5 4590 and 8gb ram and i play with advanced graphics turned OFF and only 4xmsaa in 1080p and i should easily be able to play this game without lags...
I actually get proper fps.. It varies from 60-90 but my game randomly freezes for like 500ms. Somehow the game ran without lag once with the SAME exact settings but I don't know how

Solution
yeah I have heard of memory leaks causing issues with GTA V so that may well be it and your 3.5 + .5GB frame buffer is probably not helping things. It's possible a driver update somewhere along the line borked things. try DDU (display driver uninstaller) and reinstall a driver you know worked for a fact and see if you get the same issues.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
not sure about you but in open area's like the desert and near the ocean on the highway...even with 2 gtx 980s i can get some heavy dips in FPS (as low as 40). Though usually i vsync fine at 60FPS. point being is i am suprised your settings ever worked without some "bad spots" on the map. Have you tried lowering the settings to see if its these freezes are location based and therefore overworking your GPU for a second...or do the hitches happen no matter what and at random spots (ie never the same place on the map). Can try to rule out hardware issues as it were or in conversely.

lukasz12054

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Ye I understand fps drops are normal I get only about 46 fps in grassy areas but in city it's higher. And as I said it was fine for once I was getting fps drops like everyone but it never froze or stuttered. I read a bit about it and i think this may be a memory leak? And even when i set msaa off I still get this..

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah I have heard of memory leaks causing issues with GTA V so that may well be it and your 3.5 + .5GB frame buffer is probably not helping things. It's possible a driver update somewhere along the line borked things. try DDU (display driver uninstaller) and reinstall a driver you know worked for a fact and see if you get the same issues.

Solution