Question GTA 5 in 1080p res on 4K monitor

Mar 22, 2021
I got GTA on sale a few months ago to mess with mods/to mess around without cops but i cannot play the game in the native 4K resolution of my screen. Because if i do i only get 35-45 fps if i am lucky, but also massive amounts of lag when things explode etc. I'm no expert in this and it will sound deranged but when i play in 1920x1080 the fps is obviously a lot better as it goes over 90+, but the graphics genuinely bother me as they obviously look stretched and weird. But it's like me and all 3 protagonists are drunk/need a cataract operation (car license plates look really weird and blurred from even a small distance until i am right on top of them and trees/hedges look hazy too) . I've only got a 5500 XT 8GB OC which is at the default clock speed etc as i don't mess with that sort of stuff, 16GB 3000 Mhz DDR4 RAM and a I7-7700K at 4.2Ghz. My monitor is a Samsung LU32J590UQUXEN, the game also flickers a lot too and even in 1440p the graphics still look strange like i mentioned above, but all my drivers, radeon software and so on are all up to date as i check constantly for updates. The only other game i have that is strong graphics wise is the witcher 3, which i play in 1440p and get between 50-60 FPS with no flickering or weird graphics because all my other games are old like GTA 3, VC, SA and L4D so it doesn't happen in those games. Do i need to use virtual super resolution in Radeon or is that for smaller monitors? Thanks

Is this a question?
You're asking why you cant play GTA V 4K on a budged card?
Well if that is the question....the answer is inside it...because its a budged card!
I want to have pc for 200$ and play everything on 8K (also my monitor which is 1080 to be 8K) buuut.... though cookie...

Mar 22, 2021
No, my question is how can i improve how the game looks with 1440p or 1080p on that sized screen with AMD Radeon software or settings in the game i don't know about. I'm not dense, i know that card can't run 4K lol because i only play older games like GTA 3 etc as i said in the post.

You can try to see if Radeon Image Sharpening improves the image quality. Or you can set the scaling mode in the drivers to 1:1 so it doesn't send a blown up image.

Virtual Super Resolution is meant to improve the image quality by rendering at a higher resolution than the native resolution, then downscaling it, so it won't help you here.

Mar 22, 2021
You can try to see if Radeon Image Sharpening improves the image quality. Or you can set the scaling mode in the drivers to 1:1 so it doesn't send a blown up image.

Virtual Super Resolution is meant to improve the image quality by rendering at a higher resolution than the native resolution, then downscaling it, so it won't help you here.
Thank you, had a feeling VSR probably wouldn't help me. How would i do the scaling mode to 1:1 in Radeon? As i'm a novice at that sort of thing. Thanks

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
4K is exactly the same resolution as 4x 1080p screens, 2x vertical resolution, 2x horizontal resolution.

This means that playing games etc at 1080p will always look "crisper" on a 4K screen than a resolution like 1440P, so it is usual best to up the image quality setting to compensate for running at 1080P rather than 1440P.

Why thinks look weird and stretched could be because the game has decided to change the "aspect ratio", which should be 16x9, and also you should be playing it "full screen" rather than "windowed", they are the common issues with unexpected flickering and stretching.

As for the AMD driver options, test them one at a time once you have tested the in-game settings. Changing several things at once and especially changing in-game setting and driver settings at the same time can give unexpected results and you will not know what has done what.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bassman999
Mar 22, 2021
4K is exactly the same resolution as 4x 1080p screens, 2x vertical resolution, 2x horizontal resolution.

This means that playing games etc at 1080p will always look "crisper" on a 4K screen than a resolution like 1440P, so it is usual best to up the image quality setting to compensate for running at 1080P rather than 1440P.

Why thinks look weird and stretched could be because the game has decided to change the "aspect ratio", which should be 16x9, and also you should be playing it "full screen" rather than "windowed", they are the common issues with unexpected flickering and stretching.

As for the AMD driver options, test them one at a time once you have tested the in-game settings. Changing several things at once and especially changing in-game setting and driver settings at the same time can give unexpected results and you will not know what has done what.

Good luck.
Currently i'm playing in 1920x1080 on very high settings in full screen. But i'll give those things a try now and see what happens. Thanks

Mar 22, 2021
Tried a few things and ended up with a tiny picture surrounded by a black border. Tbh that is the best it has looked for ages LOL, but it isn't right still and people can DM too here as that's ok