Gta 5 stuttering and frame drops

nick60

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Ok so I've had gta 5 for a while now and have l have logged in about 60 hours into the game. However throughout my time playing i've noticed that after about an hour of gaming I start to get stuttering and frame drops. This has been going on for a while now and I've found no solution to this. What I don't get is that gta on average uses about 6.6gb-7gb of ram but stutters. BF1 on the other hand uses 6.9-7.0gb of ram but has had zero stuttering issues.

SPECS: Rx 470 4gb
I5 6400
crucial ram 2133mhz 2x4gb
1tb barracuda hdd 7200rpm

Solution

NVM i fixed it. I slightly lowered the graphics and turns out, it was windowed fullscreen that was giving me a lot of problems. I simply witched to full screen and slightly lowered graphics and now it seems to be fine. Thanks for the help anyways though.

nick60

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
But my hardware isn't even bad. I have literally zero problems running any other game, including Witcher 3 at 70fps, with zero hiccups or stutters.

GTA 5 is an open world map that is heavy on CPU, so low clocked i5 can have problems.
in addition, you have "only" 8GB of ram AND "only" mechanical" drive. so when you move, game needs to load new resources from HDD and it can not buffer them in RAM (at least not enough).
so a combination of the above results in unpleasant experience.
You can try to play with graphics settings. unfortunately, i don't have the game installed, so can't suggest what are the exact settings to play with.

nick60

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017

NVM i fixed it. I slightly lowered the graphics and turns out, it was windowed fullscreen that was giving me a lot of problems. I simply witched to full screen and slightly lowered graphics and now it seems to be fine. Thanks for the help anyways though.

Solution