[SOLVED] GTA 5 stuttering issue

Totish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
I bought a laptop with these specs:
CPU: Intel(R) core(TM) i3-6006U-2.0 Ghz 4 Cores(I think...I see 4 exactly same names on the Processors cattegory in Device Manager)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce MX110
Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 520
RAM: 8GB DDR4
HDD: 1TB ST1000LM035-1RK172(I just wrote what the model shows, idk if it's right)
Anyway, Im having a frustrating GTA 5 stuttering after playing for about 15-20 minutes. When I first bought the laptop in August 2019, I installed a cracked version of GTA 5. A version from back in 2015. The game was running smooth and I could play on very high settings. I finished the story and wanted to go Online, so I decided to buy the game and uninstall the cracked version.(Pirated games are legal in my country). However, when I bought the game in January 2020, I began experiencing massive lag spikes, freezes and crashes while playing online. Even in story mode, when I play for like 30 mins. A friend of mine suggested to install the game on a SSD. Can that fix the issue? Im also having stuttering in other games, my CPU temperature is not that high, usually around 60-70 when playing games for a while. I tried everything that people suggested:Turned off Vsync, caped my FPS to 59(Although, idk if that would even help), changed my resolution(Apparently, setting it to my recommended desktop resolution 1920x1080 lowers the stuttering, but doesn't completly fix it, it still lags from time to time, especially when hitting pedestrians, shooting or crashing), Configured some Nvidia 3D settings from the Control Panel, but nothing changed.Oh yeah, I also run the game with an average FPS around 40-60 in online mode, but in story mode it's always 60. Im currently running a full scan for malware with Malwarebytes, just in case if viruses cause this issue. I keep my GPU drivers up to date, my HDD is never at 100%, RAM is nearly at 8GB(7,3 when some time passes while gaming, it's usually at 5,3 when I start the game and drive around), CPU however is below 50%. Could it be the RAM or it might be the CPU?? I can't really tell because Im not an expert with such things. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Your HDD is fast enough to load the game.
You may test it out by setting it to lowest settings to see if your curplit is your HDD or low ram.
Make sure that there are less stuff running in background as my friend told me it eats up ram.
Also try setting priority in task manager (in detailed by right clicking GTAV.exe with right click and setting priority high, that helped him as he has 8GB setup with FX-4100).

About your ram, when it hits for example your 7.3GB maybe it writes to your HDD since windows uses your storage as RAM (I dont know the "Technical name") and causes stutters as it tries to offload RAM to HDD.
You may test it out by setting it to lowest settings to see if your curplit is your HDD or low ram.
Make sure that there are less stuff running in background as my friend told me it eats up ram.
Also try setting priority in task manager (in detailed by right clicking GTAV.exe with right click and setting priority high, that helped him as he has 8GB setup with FX-4100).

About your ram, when it hits for example your 7.3GB maybe it writes to your HDD since windows uses your storage as RAM (I dont know the "Technical name") and causes stutters as it tries to offload RAM to HDD.

Solution

Totish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019

The only thing I have running in the background is Steam. My OS takes up to 2.3GB of RAM and with Steam open, it goes up to 3.2GB. I've tried setting the priority of gta5.exe to high, but it doesn't fix the problem. Do I need more RAM? Or would it be better to install my OS on a SSD? I also run the game with the lowest possible settings and the stuttering still occurs. How may I know if it's RAM, or the HDD causing this issue?

Try this
"Thank you! I just played for 2 hours with no stutter! :D Usually I would get stutters where the game would freeze for a second, like every minute. I did 3 things from this thread:
  1. I went to Nvedia control center > 3D settings > Program settings I picked "Grand Theft Auto V (gta5.exe)" and changed Maximum pre-rendered frames to "1". I set Shader Cache to "Off". And I put threaded optimization to "On".
  2. I launched GTA and put Grass Quality to "Normal" in graphics settings.
  3. Inside GTA I turned Extended Distance Scaling all the way down in advanced graphics settings. My thoughts... I've spent many hours playing GTA. I have never managed to fix the stutter because I didn't know why it was happening. When I checked my performance, the "Disk" would always be on 100%. I suspect GTA was causing a memory leak or something and I think the grass quality is the reason, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I hope someone else will find this useful since it worked for me :) "

Soo in the end as of your friend suggestion may be true. I cought time now and I can tell a lot of ppl had issues with slow RPM drives (that are used in laptops).

Totish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Try this
"Thank you! I just played for 2 hours with no stutter! :D Usually I would get stutters where the game would freeze for a second, like every minute. I did 3 things from this thread:
  1. I went to Nvedia control center > 3D settings > Program settings I picked "Grand Theft Auto V (gta5.exe)" and changed Maximum pre-rendered frames to "1". I set Shader Cache to "Off". And I put threaded optimization to "On".
  2. I launched GTA and put Grass Quality to "Normal" in graphics settings.
  3. Inside GTA I turned Extended Distance Scaling all the way down in advanced graphics settings. My thoughts... I've spent many hours playing GTA. I have never managed to fix the stutter because I didn't know why it was happening. When I checked my performance, the "Disk" would always be on 100%. I suspect GTA was causing a memory leak or something and I think the grass quality is the reason, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I hope someone else will find this useful since it worked for me :) "
Soo in the end as of your friend suggestion may be true. I cought time now and I can tell a lot of ppl had issues with slow RPM drives (that are used in laptops).
I managed to lower the occurrence of stuttering, but not prevent it. Turns out, the game rums smoother on high graphics for me. I turned on the shaders option to high and shadows option to high. I was experimenting more, but that for some reason worked. I guess it has something to do with the shadows of this game xD. Apparently, the game is supposed to be running on high graphics for me. When I go back to the lowest possible, I get stutters all the time. I played for 6 hours straight with rare stuttering today. I couldn't even go for an hour with the lowest settings. Anyway, it would be nice installing the game on an SSD. The long loading time is annoying.