GTA 'Hot Coffee' Case Settled for $20 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

joex444

Distinguished
"Costed" is almost certainly the wrong form to be using.

Notice how much better "Hot coffee cost $20M" sounds. Now, some technical points in English do result in sentences which do not sound correct but are regardless. This is *not* one of those cases -- costed is an archaic word which deals with finding the cost of something.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]joex444[/nom]"Costed" is almost certainly the wrong form to be using. Notice how much better "Hot coffee cost $20M" sounds. Now, some technical points in English do result in sentences which do not sound correct but are regardless. This is *not* one of those cases -- costed is an archaic word which deals with finding the cost of something.[/citation]
Im not going to lie... i looked at "costed" for a while as well, It just seems wrong.

I think it is proper, in this situation the sentence is referring to monies which were previously spent = Costed, not cost.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/costed

I dunno... Math is my strong subject

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
$19,900,000 of that will be paid to the attorney representing the class action suit. 90,000 will cover the cost of administration and organization to hand the cash out. the remaining 10000 dollars will be split among the 1 million people who took part in the class action lawsuit. Their 10 cent reward will come in the form of a gift card redeemable only online at take two interactive.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
I dont get how in any logical world, suing Rockstar for locked content has in any way made the world a better place. Once again this is a example of lawyers chasing a paycheck.

Whats even harder to believe is that we here in the US have allowed lawyers to take over our country. They are in both our legislative branch and our executive branch.

All the time it took for this case to come to fruition could have been used for some better purpose.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
If you mod the game you can get anything in it...wasn't it rated M anyways, probably removed the sexual context the lazy way by locking it from the game just to make sure it doesn't get a rating which will make retailers not carry it like getting the AO rating, if you take apart a machine to get something like a knife to kill a guy it's hardly a thing to fret about the machine company about, you needed 3rd party intervention to get the material you voided the agreement so i find nothing wrong with just locking out the context.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
"Costed" is definitely incorrect as used. It is a word, for sure, but it means something entirely different.
As an aside, "drunk" is also incorrect in the example given above, and "monies" is, at minimum, an awkward choice ("money" is correct there).

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
You know I noticed a word that kept repeating itself.. "Unauthorized modifications" Sooo I can take a turbo and crank the psi up to 20 and blow the engine sending shards of metal everywhere then sue the car maker because I did something not technically allowed. Or better yet to make this more intune. Can I sue EA because I put nude sims in the sims.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah it's what i don't get i mean it's not like they put the "explicit content" in there for the purpose of letting people mod their way into access

probably was part of the game but scraped to get the proper rating of M or w.e

christop

Distinguished
This was crap.. The game is intended for mature people.. WHAT THE HELL...
For the people who jumped on a fast dollar don't bitch when you pay more for games cause you ripp the company that worked their ass off to make a game.. (FOR ADULTS!!!!!!!

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]sicundercover[/nom]I dont get how in any logical world, suing Rockstar for locked content has in any way made the world a better place. Once again this is a example of lawyers chasing a paycheck. Whats even harder to believe is that we here in the US have allowed lawyers to take over our country. They are in both our legislative branch and our executive branch. All the time it took for this case to come to fruition could have been used for some better purpose.[/citation]

I could not argee with you more. I what don't understand is (or maybe their lawyers are too lazy/smart enough to point this out) how is this not a violation to DMCA or DRM. The content was locked away so the only way to access it was to circumvent their protective measures. Doesn't that violate DMCA or DRM? Isn't that what people are being put in jail for? Now, follow me for a second, the only to access the content was to perform an "illegal" action. Shouldn't they company be protected since the way to access is technically illegal. Look at a can of air fresher. On it, it states that it is illegal to use it in a way that is not described on the can. If you use it to get high, you can't sue the company because you used it in an illegal manner. Isn't there a similarity here?

Disclaimer:
I do not endorse or approve of DMCA or DRM.

lazylazyjoe

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
It's not the lawyers. It's the laws. The lawyers simply exploit them. We need to TOTALLY rewrite the justice code. The government is not responsible for every little problem. Read the preamble to the constitution, they give a good summary of what government was supposed to do. Stealing/vandalism and violent acts should be the only two prosecutable crimes and there should be no more civil court.

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
So what is that money going to be used for? Also who were the people or group that sued? I am confused as to what actually the makers of GTA do wrong? They added some steamy parts and then blocked with some sort of software. So if that is circumvented on the user side why is the maker of the game getting sued? It's like i put a lock on my door and then someone comes and breaks it and enters my home, then some how he injuries himself and then sues me for his injury while he broke into my home. Thats does not make any sense to me.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Probably worth double the fine in the amount of free advertising it got. If I thought for one second I would have had the amount of media exposure for a game because of the content I would have had a "hot coffee" mod in every game I ever produced from that point on...

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
What douche actually sued for this again? I mean really... Take Two should have sued for modifying game content.

It'll be in the EULA from now on, I'm sure....

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
i think the lawyers that pursued this lawsuit should be shot (anyone know who they are?) this is rediculous, they shouldve thrown this out of court simply because the people suing were parents upset their kids saw this....well the judge shouldve thrown them in jail for letting an underage kid play this game then having the balls to complain about it. not only that, but once you had to modify something to unloack it, it should be null and void.... i still have my gta:sa with hot coffee installed....and honestly it doesnt show much at all, but it is funny as hell

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I also want to know who get´s to keep the money! Also if the content was blocked, and it could not be unlocked without direct consent or direct actions of the user, in this case he would need to directly responsible for unlocking the content so how does this makes the producers responsible?? What about the 3rd party methods to unblock it? Next we´re gonna see 3d fighting games producers suied because someone figure a way to remove the "clothes" of the female characters.....

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Oh my god! Consentual sex ('love making') in a game where I expected only violence and antisocial behavior? What is the world coming to? I expect my violence to be uncontaminated by such niceness.

Status
Not open for further replies.