GTA IV can i run it?

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hi.

Not sure if this is right category.

I have a new system, specs are...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (Passive heatsink so no overclock)
XFX 780i 3way SLI Motherboard
XFX GTX 285 1GB GDDR3 (GPU Clock @ 648Mhz, Memory Clock @ 1248Mhz, EVGA Precision is telling me this)
4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
Thermaltake Toughpower 650w PSU.
1600x900 Monitor

My question is, is what settings could i run GTA IV at? High, Very High?
Also if you could kindly give a list of games that i could run?

I have recently been playing MX vs ATV Reflex maxed out @ 1600x900 however when in nationals race mode
it seems to become a bit jumpy, I dont know wether it is the CPU not being able to handle 14 riders at once
or the GPU. If it is the CPU this leads me to beleive that i will not be able to run GTA IV considering GTA IV
uses 95% of the CPU and 45-50% of the GPU. I dont mind playing at just high settings but what kinda frame
rates do you guys think il get? I cannot buy a new GPU or upgrade as i have no more money to spend on
upgrading.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Patching the game would improve FPS, yes.
Stay with your current drivers.
You can max MW3 and block ops too. I don't think GTA IV is going to run better on any PC than a console, but you can expect decent frame rates.
You should be getting around 30-40 FPS for GTA IV at that resolution.
I've got a GTS450 and I run the game at Medium-High settings.
You're going to have to reduce the detail and view distance to around 20s or 30s. And maybe turn down the shadows to high from very high.
Considering it isn't well optimized, I'd say it's the best you'll get.

Pretty much, yes, I guess you can run them all on high. I had to put textures on medium to stuttering, every 5 seconds or so..

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I was just reading somewhere else that with the game patched to latest version i should get a little performance increase. Do you think so? Im thinking of what driver version i should go with. Apparently the latest versions are more for compatibility than performance but the older ones are better for performance. Do you recommend a specific driver or should i just stay with v295.73? Any decent games i could run maxed out? Im taking a wild guess but i think i could run mw3, black ops maxed. Its just i want to know if i can run GTA IV before i buy it. at least better than console quality.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Cool. Well i guess i really wont know until i see for myself but thanks for the help gman