GTA IV is not at a high FPS for my High to Medium spec PC.

isogamer

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
4790K overclocked to 4.6ghz
144HZ MONITOR
SSD 840 SAMSUNG
1060 GTX 6GB
16GB DDR 3 RAM

So i decided to install GTA IV after i got bored with GTA V. The MP is good for GTA V, but the single story missions kinda sucks for GTA V.

GTA IV till this day still has the best singe player mission storyline. My issue is that playing this game again on my decent rig PC i was expecting high FPS, but i am stuck with staying around 67-75 FPS in high dense areas.

Where as in GTA V i am at least staying 75 to 85 fps minimum. In open areas i am staying a good 90 to sometimes hitting 122fps.

Now i know GTA V is more of a recent game, but i just thought with GTA IV with me applying all the recent patches, to having a decent PC i thought i would stay at a high FPS for this game.

Don't get me wrong staying around 60 to 70 FPS for GTA IV with my rig is playable, but just was expecting higher FPS. I know in general GTA IV wasn't the best port for PC, but am i expected to stay at 60 to 70 FPS for GTA IV?

Is there any fix where i can get higher FPS? Other then lowering my graphics? Just was expecting higher FPS for this old of a game for my 4790k pc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't have to lower graphics. The 4790k was The cpu when GTA4 was popular and the 1060 butts heads with a gtx970, one of the gpus of choice in that Era. So there shouldn't be any hardware issue.

More than likely it's either a driver optimization issue or software settings to do with windows10. I'd make sure all the motherboard chipset drivers are upto date, especially lan and audio, but include USB family and pcie.

You may also need to run GTA4 in win7 compatability mode as some older games just don't like the way win10 insists on 64bit drivers, vrs win7 32bit drivers.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is this through Steam? If so make shortcut and launch game from LaunchGTAIV.exe.

Disable shadows, theyre ugly anyway

This game doesn't run well with high fps. Gameplay and cutscenes are choppy. But the game does improve by itself to as you progress further i noticed.

I had to limit fps using Nvidia inspector to 40~50 fps. I enjoyed the game and cutscenes a lot more. Cutscenes are animated in 30fps, so that explains the choppy look i saw at higher fps before cap. 30fps is too low for me but between 40~50 was good.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-profile-inspector-download.html

Gta4 played on 2600k @ 4.5, 16gb ram, 1080Ti, Ssd, 1440p 144Hz gsync, Win7.