[SOLVED] GTA Online FPS drops for no apparent reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multirotor

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
I am on my last legs for trying to solve this problem, honestly.
Okay enough complaining, on to describe it.

On GTA Online, I get moderate framerate drops.
Thinking it could be the game's optimization.

NOTHING is maxed. GPU, CPU, RAM, Disk, you name it.

It just doesn't want to run at 60+ FPS, at least for more than a minute.

This usually happens in the downtown areas of the game, but is not limited to those areas.

When the FPS is low, the GPU usage is normally 80% or below.
So, for some odd reason it is not utilizing the GPU fully. (unless in singleplayer)

CPU usage doesn't really ever go above 50%.
(This CPU is more than enough for GTA)

RAM usage is just fine, I think it hangs around at 70-80%.
I don't get it anymore. I have done a clean install of Windows 10 using the media creation tool, and it still happens.

This lag does not happen in the singleplayer version of GTA V. It only occurs in Online.

Oh also, temperatures appear to be okay. The highest I have seen is 80C for my 960, but I've heard that's not anything to be worried about.

Anyways, here are some system specs since I know that would help. My machine is more than capable, in my opinion at least, of a minimum FPS of 60 on the lowest graphics settings.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB
8GB DDR4-2133 RAM
Windows 10 Home x64

I appreciate all the help I can get.
Hopefully I can finally get this solved.

rotor

Solution
Before thinking i have a problem, in your situation getting another stick of ram for dual channel operation would be my first step. It is also true that multiplayer modes of most demanding games take a hit on performance compared to the single player mode. This is one reason why when you read benchmarks on games which have both modes it's important to see if they tested a fully populated multiplayer game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Theres more going on in online compared to story. More rendering, more physics more of everything. Thats why you're getting better performance in story mode.

Tips for better performance.

Dual channel and faster ram. Is that 1x 8GB? 2x8GB would have been better.

An SSD would help a lot too. What do you have the game installed on?

Graphics card is questionable.

Multirotor

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

Makes sense. More to render in Online.
Yeah it's 1x 8GB. Game is installed on a HDD I believe.

Before thinking i have a problem, in your situation getting another stick of ram for dual channel operation would be my first step. It is also true that multiplayer modes of most demanding games take a hit on performance compared to the single player mode. This is one reason why when you read benchmarks on games which have both modes it's important to see if they tested a fully populated multiplayer game.

Solution

Multirotor

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

I believe you are right - I just watched a video on single vs. dual channel 8GB RAM on GTA and the FPS was considerably higher on dual channel. However, I cannot afford RAM right now, so are there any possible free solutions to this within the OS, BIOS, game or something?
Also, it doesn't make 100% sense to me.
Multiplayer games are heavier on the CPU than their singleplayer counterparts. However, my CPU is not showing 100% usage anywhere. Are multiplayer games heavier on the RAM, too?
Thanks for the help, by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.