[SOLVED] GTA runs at 12 FPS with an RTX 2070

Oct 4, 2020
Hi!

I have a MSI gs75 stealth with an rtx 2070, Intel i6-870h and 16gb of ram. A few days ago, I installed GTA V and played online with a friend of mine. At the time, everything ran perfectly and smoothly. However, I began to have problems to connecting to online sessions. I saw a fix for this was to suspend the game while in the online loading screen and then resuming the game after 10 seconds. This managed to put me into an online game however my performance started suffering greatly. Ever since then, I have only been able to achieve around 12 FPS on default settings. I suspect that the game is running on my integrated graphics instead of the RTX 2070. However, even when I set the preferences in Nvidia control panel to be the high performance graphics card, it doesn't change anything. I've updated my drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled all Nvidia software & drivers, and uninstalled and reinstalled GTA V. When looking at performance in task manager, the intel(h) usage always increases to 50% when running GTA V but the RTX 2070 stays between 0-9%. I've been working on this problem for hours and it's really frustrating me. I hope someone can help me out with this.

Solution
In your latest userbench results the cpu speed got up to 3.15, that's still almost a whole Ghz less, the i7-8750H has a turbo speed of up to 4.10 under good temperature conditions.

Coretemp snap sees the processor running at 900MHz. Laptop is indeed thermal throttling. Laptop's cooling is often designed in a way where both cpu and gpu share the same heat pipes so can imagine what happens when the gpu load gets heavy while gaming.

I suggest having it looked at or at least get a cooling pad for it.

Monitor temps and cpu speed live in game OSD with MSI Afterburner.

Oct 4, 2020
I wanted to add something to this post. So I ran a benchmark using the userBenchmark test and the results were quite concerning (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33768881). I wanted to add that I've had a lot of problems with Nvidia. When I open task manager, there are a ton of Nvidia background processes titled "NVIDIA Share" and "NVIDIA Container". Everytime I try to end these tasks, they just reappear. I have no clue what they're doing as they're running even when control panel and GeForce experience is closed. Furthermore, when I try to open NVIDIA Geforce Experience, oftentimes nothing happens. I have to end the task in task manager before I can open it and I often get an error when I open it afterwards. This was the main reason that I uninstalled and reinstalled all NVIDIA software as I mentioned in the main post. However, these problems seem to have persisted. Lastly, I recently had problems with my laptop screen hinge breaking and had to bring my computer in to get fixed. This was really a problem with the computer case so I don't think it would have affected this issue but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Oct 4, 2020
Use DDU in Safemode to remove GPU drivers. Then install latest version

Ok, so I did that and it didn't seem to improve anything. When my computer rebooted, Nvidia processes still showed up in my task manager and on my taskbar. I managed to fix the problem of the GPU benchmark not running by disabling nahimic services. The results of the benchmark are here (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33797877). As you can see, it's quite terrible. I'm not sure why my computer is performing so poorly especially with an RTX 2070.

Oct 4, 2020
Too add on to this post, I checked my thermals and my CPU is running around 50 degrees Celsius while idling. I imagine this is a bit concerning but I'm not sure what I can do as I have a laptop and literally just had it repaired.

Ok, so I did that and it didn't seem to improve anything. When my computer rebooted, Nvidia processes still showed up in my task manager and on my taskbar. I managed to fix the problem of the GPU benchmark not running by disabling nahimic services. The results of the benchmark are here (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33797877). As you can see, it's quite terrible. I'm not sure why my computer is performing so poorly especially with an RTX 2070.
Your CPU is SEVERELY throttling! Are you sure about your temps? Are you checking while under load?

Oct 4, 2020
Your CPU is SEVERELY throttling! Are you sure about your temps? Are you checking while under load?

Unfortunately not. I was just idling when I checked. I ended all my background processes. I'm pretty sure my CPU temp of 50 degrees is higher than it should be but as I'm on a laptop I'm not sure what good I can do. Do you think I should bring it get repaired again? I literally just got this back 5 days ago after 3 weeks of it being in best buy's repair center... Best Buy repair is frankly terrible but I have a warranty with them so it's the only place I don't have to pay. Ty for all your help btw I really appreciate it.

Oct 4, 2020
Install MSI Afterburner and use it to monitor temps while gaming.

Ok so I just did that and opened up TF2. My whole computer is now running like a potato. MSI said my temps were around 50 degrees consistently and NZXT cam said my CPU was also at 50 degrees the whole time. I played TF2 either yesterday or the day before I started having these problems and everything was running smoothly. But right now when I booted it up it looked like a slideshow. Looking at GPU usage in task manager, it seems that the 2070 isn't being used above 20%. I'm considering just factory resetting this thing because it's driving me nuts. Do you think it's a hardware or software problem? I'm not sure why the computer is acting like this, just two days ago the only problem I had was with GTA but after messing with my drivers it seems that nothing is working at all.

bignastyid

Titan
"CPU throttled at 36% by Windows. Ensure maximum processor state is set to 100% via Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state. "

Seems like a power management issue.

Oct 4, 2020
"CPU throttled at 36% by Windows. Ensure maximum processor state is set to 100% via Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state. "

Seems like a power management issue.

I just checked and it is at 100%. What I am confused about is that my computer was working fine on other games just 3 days ago and now after trying to fix GTA and updating all my drivers, it runs like a potato again... Do you guys think a full windows reinstall is the way to go here?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Noticed in your userbench results the processors average turbo is only at 1.1GHz, should be in the vicinity of 3x that.

Need to monitor realtime cpu speed in conjunction with temps. Ok, so your temps look good but at what actual speed is the cpu running at? Run Coretemp, it's an easy tool reporting actual clocks and temps in an easy to look at window.

Oct 4, 2020
Noticed in your userbench results the processors average turbo is only at 1.1GHz, should be in the vicinity of 3x that.

Need to monitor realtime cpu speed in conjunction with temps. Ok, so your temps look good but at what actual speed is the cpu running at? Run Coretemp, it's an easy tool reporting actual clocks and temps in an easy to look at window.

This is what it looks like while idling ( View: https://imgur.com/a/OuUlDxs
)
And while gaming ( View: https://imgur.com/a/hA9lQjc
)

This time when I went to try TF2 it ran completely normal. I haven't tested it on GTA V yet but it seems like my computer has unscrewed itself. I ran another benchmark and got this (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33845267). Not the best but at least it' performing much closer to what it ought to. Idk what happened. It really seems like it just fixed itself... should I just let it be?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In your latest userbench results the cpu speed got up to 3.15, that's still almost a whole Ghz less, the i7-8750H has a turbo speed of up to 4.10 under good temperature conditions.

Coretemp snap sees the processor running at 900MHz. Laptop is indeed thermal throttling. Laptop's cooling is often designed in a way where both cpu and gpu share the same heat pipes so can imagine what happens when the gpu load gets heavy while gaming.

Solution
Oct 4, 2020

Hmm, do you know where I could take it to get it looked at. As I mentioned before I have warranty with Best Buy, but frankly those guys are a nightmare. I literally just got this computer back from them 5 days ago and it was gone for 3 weeks while they were repairing it. Their tech support is terrible. They wanted to charge me 100 dollars to do a back up with me providing my own hard drive...