GTA V Framerate issues

My system specs are as follows:
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 4c@3.7ghz
8gb 3200mhz dual channel ram
PNY GTX1050 2gb (running a somewhat recent driver from December)

I am having massive issues with stuttering and frame times in GTA V. I have a mixture of high and very high settings at 1080p, allowing me to get 50-60fps on average. My GPU is always maxed out but still delivers steady framerates with my cpu at 85-90% on average. The main issue is when I get into action my CPU pegs to 100% in MSI Afterburner and my game begins to stutter and freeze. It is completely unplayable when this happens. This used to be less common when I ran with very high settings and I only got around 35fps average due to a GPU limit. It seems when some of the load shifted off of my GPU due to changed settings my cpu is struggling. Why is this happening? My cpu should be able to run this game better. Help is appreciated! I am not looking to upgrade my system now.

Feb 3, 2019
Have you been keeping an eye on your CPU clock speed when the stutters and freezing happens? Aside from 100% CPU usage are there any other weird hiccups in stats happening? Also, are you using the high performance power plan in Windows?

There is really nothing you can really do other than upgrade.

GTA 5 is one of the more CPU demanding games.

The problem is that both your CPU and GPU are low end and balanced that way, the reason why you are seeing this problem.

A CPU upgrade to a RYZEN 5 would help a lot.