GTA V gives 50fps on 1080p resolution?

Jul 1, 2018
my specs are:
CPU i7 7700k
GTX 1070ti

when i play GTA V on full ultra settings i get round about 50fps. is it normal or is there a problem with my GPU because my display is 1080p?

Solution
Much depends on the game and engine. I'll dabble in Neverwinter every now and then, it's not much more demanding than minecraft so my gtx970/i7-3770K is well capable of max ultra beyond 60fps, I use MXAA x4 on it as anything higher makes characters look so soft they start blending into the background. X4 keeps some rigidity to the face at least. FXAA is older than MXAA and isn't well optimized for much, it tends to get quite cpu intensive for not much gain, but some ppl like it. Same goes with plain AA or AF (antistropic filter) it can be just enough, but having it at max isn't always a good thing.

There's other settings too that can be detrimental to fps, like grass detail and viewing distance. As fast as you drive by in gta:v, you...
Jul 1, 2018
well sir if you are referring to MSAA/FXAA i turned them off and my gpu usage dropped to 60%.But can u suggest good settings for MSAA for my GPU because i dont have much of an idea about that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
MSAA, FXAA, SMAA etc are all just different kinds of Anti Aliasing and they'll have different appeal on different games, so that's going to be on you as to what you prefer.

In nvidia control panel under global settings, make sure pre-rendered frames is set to 1. Nvidia likes to set it to 3, but that'll bog a gpu down. Make doubly sure that resolution in game is set to 1920x1080, that'll be 1080p same as native resolution on the monitor. Many times, especially when using GeForce Experience, it'll optimize for 4k DSR, which means it'll render in 4k but convert back to whatever resolution you set. That'll add 30-40% or better on a mid grade gpu usage.

AA is a personal preference deal. Use what is the best balance for appearance vs performance. I never suggest anything more than MSAA x4. FXAA tends to suck IMO. I only use FXAA if nothing else works.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Much depends on the game and engine. I'll dabble in Neverwinter every now and then, it's not much more demanding than minecraft so my gtx970/i7-3770K is well capable of max ultra beyond 60fps, I use MXAA x4 on it as anything higher makes characters look so soft they start blending into the background. X4 keeps some rigidity to the face at least. FXAA is older than MXAA and isn't well optimized for much, it tends to get quite cpu intensive for not much gain, but some ppl like it. Same goes with plain AA or AF (antistropic filter) it can be just enough, but having it at max isn't always a good thing.

There's other settings too that can be detrimental to fps, like grass detail and viewing distance. As fast as you drive by in gta:v, you honestly don't need grass details at full max, you really aren't paying attention to every blade of grass. Viewing distance is the same, it's nice to see the majestic purple mountains in the distance, but you honestly don't need to see every rock on them too.

Having set max ultra is not always going to be the best for any pc, the differences you can see between ultra and very high are not that much, the differences for the gpu is massive. So play around with the details some, drop those that really don't look like they do much of anything, it'll only mean a break for the cpu/gpu.

Oh, and don't rely on a single reading for the cpu, you have 4c/8t and gta:v can and will use all of them. But 100% on 2 cores is 100% on 4 threads. If the game only uses 4 threads, you'll see a cpu usage of 50%, but in reality you have maxed out the cpu. So if looking at cpu usage, use something like MSI Afterburner to check all threads usage. It'll give a much clearer picture of what's what.

Solution