GTA V how to lower CPU usage? (Commands, game options, etc?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
So I have a a8 6500 & gtx 750 ti sc (with ram oc)
If I run on lowest settings or higher settings I only lose about 5-10 fps(from 20-40 with avg of 35 to avg of 28)
My GPU on lowest is 40% while my CPU is 100% all across.
I'm not dumb. I've turned off programs put GTA V to high priority but nothing seems to work easily.

I think a big reason for this is because the consoles and yet ANOTHER terrible port from Rockstar (nothing new). I don't get how they got it to use so much since the AI is terrible (ai usually takes up most CPU usage in a game).

Anyways any commands I could use/how to use commands with nonsteam version (not sure if commandline.txt from gta 4 style works) or any settings that will raise fps? 30 FPS in GTA V is TERRIBLE since the 100% you can't turn off mouse acceleration is based off your FPS (my aims terrible).

Your going to need to upgrade the CPU, shouldn't be surprised by your performance you don't come close to the recommend specs. The game is heavy on the CPU but I wouldn't call it a horrible port, if you have the recommended specs the game plays nicely. A horrible port would be a game where it plays like hell no matter what.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

So what your saying is theres absolutely no way and that I have to wait at least 6 months to play the game if I want decent fps.
Nah I think i'll just look for commands etc and settings since according you there are none (which wouldn't explain my low fps on higher settings)

Your CPU is just too weak. GTAV is a CPU heavy game.

Like, I can play it with just a 4 core intel @ 3.2/3.6ghz using the intel HD 4600 graphics at the lowest settings and still get 25-30 FPS.
You'll have to copy and paste this, BBcode messes up the hyperlink =1998&cmp[]=1993]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1998&cmp[]=1993

And that's because GTAV can use the CPU to process all the little things it has to keep track of.

Solution

Can't tell if trolling :/ oh well what ever floats your goat.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

Because it was the best prebuilt I could get before I was confident in building a PC... then I tossed a dgpu in it...

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

Just like GTA 4 and others before it there are commands that can help. Just takes some time to find them.A

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

Slightly mad

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

Finally someone answers 1 of the 2 questions... just took 3 other posts (2 of which basically saying the same tihng)

Reactions: evieamity

pmckeen

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

30 FPS often indicates a half-limit on vsync (60hz refresh / 2). Check vsync and make sure it's set to full or off, and watch your framerate fly.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

I watched nothing since it was already off.

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
As has been mentioned, the A8 is an APU. To go into greater detail, AMD's APU chips are combined CPU and GPU chips in one unit. Unfortunately, this means that neither is as powerful as a dedicated CPU or GPU. You upgraded to a dedicated GPU and stopped using the integrated one, but that doesn't improve the CPU half of your A8 at all. Until you buy a better CPU, like an FX-8350 for example, you will have to cut your settings way back and pray that it runs well.

You didn't mention how much RAM you have.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
This post is 2 years old... I have since upgraded to a 4690k.
I did find a couple ways though like completely disabling shadows. Although i'm still very disgusted in the replies to this. Yes you will lower your CPU usage if you buy a better CPU and the same can be said for a GPU but I don't see people telling those with GTX 980 ti's to upgrade their GPU to a Titan X if they can't game at 4k60 on ultra and generally see people telling them to lower the settings.

Reactions: evieamity
Status
Not open for further replies.