GTA V PC File Transfer from one PC to another PC: HOW TO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

closest_num_2_0

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
So I was searching online on how to transfer the PC version to another PC with out having to download the tremendous file; however I got no results than people wondering how. I figured out how to do this with the non-steam version and the steam version is much more straight forward with the backing up method.

1.Make sure GTA V on the installed PC works FLAWLESSLY. the last thing you want is a corrupted gta V on two computers instead of one.
2.Load the game at least once to make sure ALL the files are created.
3.You will need a storage drive that can hold GTA V plus a little extra.
4. Copy the following files to the storage drive:
C:\Users\(username of computer 1)\Documents\Rockstar Games
C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V
OPTIONAL but just in case
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games
(if you changed the dirrectory for these files find them and place them in the correct location)
5.On the PC that you are copying files TO and install social club using the download link below
http://patches.rockstargames.com/prod/socialclub/Social%20Club%20v1.1.5.6%20Setup.exe
6.Follow the instructions and install social club and close it after installation.
7.copy to the user info from the old computer to the new computer into the documents. This should allow the user to continue playing GTA V from where they left off in single player.
copy this:
C:\Users\(username of computer 1)\Documents\Rockstar Games
into this:
C:\Users\(username of computer 1)\Documents
8.Copy the GTA V game from C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V
into the file C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\
THIS IS CRITICAL AND IS THE MAIN HEART OF THE GAME AND IS THE MAIN PORTION OF THE 60GIGABYTES.
9.Check if social club is installed correctly and is the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games is about 78.0 mbs.
10.If it is not copy the updated version from the computer with GTA V on it into the folder
11. CRITICAL!!!!!! log in to social club on the web browser of your choice and then go to https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/activate
and click download for windows for GTA V. This is only 150 mbs and will save A LOT of time over the 60 GB.
12. Proceed to install GTA V using the installer. This will install C++ and DirectX that wont be installed if you just copied the game directly over.
13. If done correctly it should have a 53mb update and complete and say that GTA V is ready to play.

This process may seem complicated however I was able to do it in 20 min with copying over using SSDs. and it is also much faster than downloading the whole 60 GBs.

Erik_3

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
There is one SIMPLE way to do it. (it worked for me without problem)

1.Copy "Grand Theft Auto V " folder (C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V)

2.On the 2nd PC , download and install Social Club.

3.Download "GTAV_Setup_Tool" from Rockstars Games website.

4.Start installing the game for few seconds untill folders are created. (it should be at C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V)

5.now PASTE "Grand Theft Auto V" folder (that one you copy on 1st pc) and repleace it over existing folder.(that folder which i mentioned in step 4)

6.Double click at "PlayGTAV" icon and it should download some updates and u re done.

closest_num_2_0

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
No problem guys glad I can help If you have any questions I will try to answer them. The method I posted keeps the updates and saves the single player as well.
for some of the questions asked above about copying I will answer them below for future users.

If it asks for activation that means that the rockstar account you made does not have a copy of GTA V please purchase GTA V as this does not work for torrented coppies.

If you need to copy multiple copies of GTA V. CONGRADULATIONS just look up how to copy steam games and you will see countless youtube videos online!

This tutorial is for copying to multiple computers and works perfectly so yes it will work. You can also copy the game from laptop to desktop no issues so yes you can download it on a laptop first.

Salman_9

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Hi bro, can you make a screenshot of your GTA V files, because I accidentally didn't install it on a folder just all the files on the harddisk if I want to copy them I don't know which one is the good one.

I will appreciatie that :)

closest_num_2_0

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Currently I do not have the most recent GTAV installed. I could send pics and it will most likely be very similar. Could you please clarify are you asking about if you accidentally installed in the wrong location? If so the game saves will still be in your documents but you can place the game files in the correct locations (program files/etc) and it should work fine. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Salman_9

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
http://postimg.org/image/ws6yi8crb/

Look at the screenshot, I installed the game about 6 months ago. But now I want to transfer the game to my other pc only the problem is: I accidentally installed the game just on my data storage without making a map like Grand Theft Auto V ''all the files are now just in the drive'' and I also have other files on the data storage so I don't know which one is for GTA V

closest_num_2_0

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Can you separate your other files instead of looking for the gtav files I think that would be a lot easier

closest_num_2_0

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Can You send me a picture of your program files (x86) and program files in your c drive? i want to know if rockstar also installed there

Yakuba

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Nice ! Thanks a lot, I transferred my file from one disk to the other using your technique. It works with steam, just move the steam folder from the old program x86 to the new one, everything went smoothly.

closest_num_2_0

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Glad it worked!

closest_num_2_0

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Thanks dude! I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out and this was the most reliable way of copying GTA V imo.

to anyone who is posting on just copy the steam files this is for people who have purchased a different version/ from rockstar or amazon without the steam installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.