GTA V Refuses to run smoothly on good PC

Feb 27, 2018
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I just got GTA V and it's giving me a headache. No matter what I try I can't get the game to run smooth. Every couple of seconds it will start stuttering, and it looks like about a meter in front of my character is the render distance, as if there is a line, and when anything passes that line its finally rendered. I have tried Nvidia GeForce experience optimal settings, I have tried messing with the settings myself for the past 2 days, putting everything to max, putting everything to min but nothing seems to work. I'm running a clean install of GTA V, with no mods, and the steam version, all my drivers are up to date.

My specs:
i7 7700k @ 4.8GHz
RoG GTX 1080
Corsair 32GB Dominator Ram
Corsair Force M.2 SSD (GTA Is installed here)
Corsair H110i Liquid Cooling
Win10

The strange thing is, when running the game, my system resources are in no way taking a beating, the CPU and GPU rarely go above 40% load on GTA, I have over 5GB of VRAM free in game, and a lot of processing power left for the game to use which it doesn't. I haven't had any issues with any other games, even games more demanding than GTA V. I'm also keeping good temps (Average around 50c CPU). This is when I had tried all the settings maxed out.

Another strange thing I noticed is, when I Increase the graphics settings, the game performs better, the higher settings I select. At 1280x800, all settings normal, I only get around 25 FPS, but when I change it to 3840x2160 and max out every setting there is, it is a lot smoother, apparently solid 60FPS (On a 60Hz monitor, cant do any better) according to Geforce overlay, but still persistent stuttering. It's baffled me, normally turning the settings down help, but in this case it seems turning them up help.

I have also tried to additional command lines such as disabling hyper threading etc, but no help

Anyone got any ideas? I have tried everything I can think of
Many thanks in advance

Solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DQl_VRiPw
GTA V has a serious problem in how it was made,the main thread is running in time critical which is forcing your system to run this thread faster than the others resulting in the rest of the threads not being able to keep up,turning up the settings lowers your overall FPS which means that the main thread can run slower which in turn means that the rest of the threads are able to keep up (better).
Since rockstar is pretty fast with the ban hammer use this at your own risk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DQl_VRiPw
GTA V has a serious problem in how it was made,the main thread is running in time critical which is forcing your system to run this thread faster than the others resulting in the rest of the threads not being able to keep up,turning up the settings lowers your overall FPS which means that the main thread can run slower which in turn means that the rest of the threads are able to keep up (better).
Since rockstar is pretty fast with the ban hammer use this at your own risk.

Solution