GTA V - Terrible performance after GPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specht77

Prominent
May 15, 2017
I have been playing GTA V on my desktop without performance issues since 2015, my specs were:

i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
16gb RAM
7200rpm HD
GTX 970 SC

With the specs above, I was able to play just fine @ 1080p around 60fps

Recently I bought a new GPU, going from the GTX 970 SC to a GTX 1070ti SC

Yesterday I booted GTA V for the first time since the GPU upgrade, and for my surprise, the performance was really bad.

I'll list the issues:

1. Start menu/main menu abysmal performance
Launching the game, I was granted with a very stuttery menu, steam was saying that it was around 35fps, but moving my mouse felt more like 10fps
Opening nVidia inspector I noticed that my GPU was at 100% usage on the menu

2. Bad ingame performance
Even at 1080p and medium settings, I wasn't able to reach 60fps at GTA online, I tried lowering to 800x600 at 0,5 frame scalling, and was still below 80fps

3. Constant micro stutters + eventual macro stutters
The game is stuttering really bad all the time, even walking around inside a garage, the game still stutters, and trying to drive around town was a pain with eventual hangs that could last almost 1 second

Some aditional information:

After installing the 1070ti, I updated the driver to version 399.24 doing a clean installation.

I already used steam to verify integrity and no issue was found

I know that usually stutters in GTA are caused by slow HD, but I'm using the same HD that worked just fine before the GPU upgrade, and I even moved the game folder to a newer HD just to test, but had the same issues

Does anyone knows what could be the issue, and how to fix it?

Specht77

Prominent
May 15, 2017
** What I already tried until now: **

1. Removed the game + folders at /Documents and /Appdata and then reinstalled

2. Ran DDU in Safe Mode, then installed the newest graphics driver (417.71)

3. Tried using "prefer maximum performance" at nvidia control panel

4. Yes, I checked if there wasn't any demanding graphical option like scalling

** What are the symptoms even after the steps above: **

The performance ingame is abysmal, around 40~55fps with 1080p medium/high

With the power management on nVidia control panel at "optimal power" the GPU clock stays around 700mhz and GPU usage around 35%

With power management at "prefer maximum performance" the GPU clock stays at 1772mhz and GPU usage below 20%

My CPU usage is around 60~80%

Below you can see a screenshot I took while testing the game at 1080p with all the graphics options at minimum:

https://imgur.com/XSgDfLC

** Is there anything wrong with the hardware? **

Unlikely, the GPU upgrade was November/2018, since then I played more than 15 games without any issue, the only game I'm having problems is GTA V

The main menu issue, and stutters were fixed after reinstalling the game

Specht77

Prominent
May 15, 2017
Even though I hate geforce experience, I installed it to see if it could make some kind of miracle

But as I expected, the "optmization" was useless, it just set pratically all my graphics settings to low/off and the resolution to 1366x768 (don't forget that I'm playing on a Desktop with a 3840x2160 screen)

The GPU usage is still around 20% ingame...

Jan 20, 2019
It could be your CPU bottlenecking your GPU, my intel core i5 6600k bottlenecks my gtx 1060 in some games and you have a better GPU but a little bit worse CPU so that could be an even bigger bottleneck. For example if a CPU is on 100% and GPU at 60% you can clearly see the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.

Specht77

Prominent
May 15, 2017

I don't know what was running when I took that screenshot, I'm pretty sure that thread isn't the culprit, the performance with my GTX 970 was way better and it was with the same CPU

I have a friend that has a i5 2320 with stock clocks (3.0ghz) and is getting a better performance than my 2600k at 4.6ghz

Specht77

Prominent
May 15, 2017

As I said here:
"Is there anything wrong with the hardware?
Unlikely, the GPU upgrade was November/2018, since then I played more than 15 games without any issue, the only game I'm having problems is GTA V"

My GPU was and still is working perfectly on every other game, this issue is just happening on GTA V

Jan 20, 2019
See if your CPU is at 100% and GPU usage is low in other games, preferably CPU demaning games like Battlefield. If so I’m pretty sure the CPU IS bottlenecking your GPU. You could borrow a better CPU from a friend if possible to see if that changes.

Specht77

Prominent
May 15, 2017

Once again, as I said, with my previews GPU my performance in GTA was a lot better than now, if it was CPU bottleneck, it should at least keep the performance it had before

but still, I took some time to make some tests

If it was really CPU bottleneck, and it's reaching 65 FPS at 4.6ghz, do you agree with me that it should get less than 55fps at 3.4ghz right?

Well, at 4.6ghz I got 65 FPS with GPU usage at 20~25% as you can see below:
https://imgur.com/UJXVZwg

Then, at 3.4ghz I got 63 FPS with GPU usage at 20~25%:
https://imgur.com/pJbwrQL

Notice that even at 3.4ghz none of my cores are even close to 100%

The 2 FPS difference could be caused by the rain and car on screen

I also asked a friend with a i5 2320 (3.0ghz, no hyper threading, etc) to take a screenshot on the same intersection and...

https://imgur.com/UykEGpA

Status
Not open for further replies.