GTA4 Frame Rate and Resolution

Is the framerate too low for a next gen console on GTA4 in the respective HD resolutions?

• Yes, both 360 and PS3.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Yes, but only the 360

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, but only the PS3

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No, neither,

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
What do you all think of the GTA4 framerate on the PS3 in "HD". The PS3 version runs at 640p!!!

I think its FAR too low the scuffs the gameplay!

What about the 360 in 720p?

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I am having crap load of fun but up close the game looks really bad. I was expecting GTA IV on a next gen console to looks good in terms of visuals. Don't get me wrong it does but I'm curious as to why Rockstar went with the blurry fuzzy graphics for the game. Upclose all the edges of the textures are blurred as if to give off some bloom affect. At times it makes the game look unrealistic like for example when it rains and the fog comes in. I was hoping it was some setting that could be turned on or off but its just the way the decided to design the game. It looks as if i'm playing with at thin layer of vasoline on my screen or something. I play on a 32inch Toshina HD at 1080p on the 360.

Luke69

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Yes it's not great visuals, although an vast improvement on other GTA's, not too bad a frame rate though for me mostly seems good except I have alot of pop up / in ?. (360)

Disappointed by game length though as although long not long enough. I miss stuff such as kill frezy's, holding up shops (Is this possible now?), ambulance/fire etc missions but they wanted it to be more serious. And I swear Vice city lasted me ages longer (Anyone Else??) but that could be with me getting distracted with all my other things as above.

I play on 360 at 720p on a 30 Incher Panosonic.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

You can upscale both versions to 1080p, but they were programmed in lower resolutions. Just for the record it is actually 630p that the ps3 runs in and I will also say that I am really disappointed in the visuals and performance of the game on both consoles. The game sometimes will dip into the near 10fps and I have never seen so many jaggies in my life on a single game. The blurr of the background objects is just enough to make me go crazy if I play it for to long.

Best,

3Ball

anarkeygodslam

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I just got a 52" Sony Bravia and hooked up my xbox 360 via HDMI. It stutters and looks like ass at 1080p, and I am guessing that the box, though it says 1080p, is wrong? Only COD4 has run smoothly at all at 1080p on my system :(

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
But these are next gen game consoles! How could they not have the very best graphics ever?!!?!?!? I thought the PS3 was like 10000X better than my crappy 8800GTS 640. Arent the current game consoles the best ever until the PS4/XBOX 720 come out? Are you telling me that 2-3 year old technology isnt the best ever!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Lets hope that games companies realise that pcs are the best entertainment systems bar none and put us back at top of the publication list...

Give us HD / Blu-ray Optical drives as standard

Us pc owners have had the best technology and can only get better if Nvidia's CUDA becomes mainstreme..

PC games have recieved a hit of late but looking at the re written pc versions of games Mass Effect is the best version on the pc and so is Assasins Creed...Its a shame that some games wont be comming to pc such as the new Starwars game.

Look forward to more wipe the floor pc versions of console titles to take advantage of our better control and free online capabilities, better graphics and sound...

Long live the pc.........

couple of things to look at

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/7644-new-star-wars-game-coming-from-bioware-possibly/

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/blog/post/685917/Rumor_New_Star_Wars_Game_Coming.html

Breaking news: on pcgamer.co.uk it says that Starwars : Force Unleashed is comming to pc

Hope it is :)

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Were GTA graphics ever that good? This game wasn't meant to be sold on the merit of it's graphics, as for the framerate I can't comment because I haven't played it, and probably will not unless (hopefully until) it comes to the PC.

mick_01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
the game is (1) only running in 2x antialiasing which is a joke on a next generation console. (2) the framerate problem as well and it shouldn't happen either on a next gen console. I have it hooked up to a 19 inch crt pc monitor and it looks way better than on the normal tv-set. but if this is the most they can get out of this new console which is out quite a while now and only producing 2x antialiasing then what are they talking about next gen graphics. even at 4x AA it would have looked way better. but is that a hint as to the consoles limitations. I wonder.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
the only thing annoying me about the game graphics is the shadows, which are all fuzzy and dont have sharp edges, the edges of shadows look like there made out of hexagons.

but im not a gfx whore and dont mind the game is pretty decent but very repetitive, im hoping it gets better as i play through.

oh and i voted that the frame rate is to low for both... but most game developers develop console games to run at 30fps, which i can notice and find very frustrating at times.

G

I play on PS3 at 1080P and have had no issues with frame rates? it seems fine and smooth even on line? I just force upscale through the settings of the hdmi output, I do have a huge 320 Gig HD fitted, maybe that helps?

cltn2080

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I think the game is pretty technically impressive for the current generation of consoles. It doesn't run in 1080p and the framerate does dip, but you have to consider that this game is a lot more technically strenuous than something like bioshock or call of duty. It takes a lot of power to process everything that's going on at once in this game. What other game has to handle a scenario where there's a 20 car pileup with things blowing up everywhere, AI for a couple dozen on-screen characters and manage a realistic physics system controlling all of it? The developers weren't lazy by omitting 1080p support. They sacrificed a little bit of visual fidelity in order to get all this stuff running at once. I mean I'm no programmer, but it seems obvious to me that it had to be quite a challenge to get this all to run at a playable speed. Now the PC port on the other hand is a different story...

G

Thanks for the response, now I am really cconfused, on the back of the game box it states 720, 1080I and 1080P, I am able to upscale to 1080P and it looks visually far better than 720 (although 720 is still a good res) but people state that it's in 640 (which is not mentioned on the box or any of my tv or ps3 settings? so perhaps when I upscale to 1080p it seems fine but if it gets to busy, I will start to see major slowdown? but so far its not slowed down? granted my PS3 does often whir up its fan on the highest cooling setting (I can hear it). My friend tried the PC version and even a new PC was struggling like mad so I can really appreciate the CPU power of the PS3 and Xbox compared to the PC. So when I play on 1080P wouod it be fair to say I am playing on 1080p but should expect some slowdown? or am I imagining things?
Thanks

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
to be honest this is the least optimsed game i ever played console or pc i get lower fps on max settings than on crysis max settings which looks alot better rock star have disappointed me

lanmanz11

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I just recently switched from a 27 inch CRT a 27 inch LCD flatscreen, and the graphics for GTA 4 just got worse, even though it's running in 1080p and through an HDMI cable. On my old tv, the distant buildings and objects looked perfect, and there was no fuzziness around any of the objects in the game. Now anything 200 feet away and further in the game looks horrible, and there is a layer of pixelated crap around every little object you cans see, the trees also look like poorly drawn watercolor paintings. I have not seen any game except this one look worse than what it used to on a CRT. (although most games now have more blurry distant scenes and objects) What's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.