Question GTA5 crashing

May 12, 2022
Hey everyone, I have a problem that has been ongoing for over a month now. When ever I play GTA5 it will crash to the desktop. It was working fine for 28 hours of game play. Now every time I play it, crash. I have contacted Rockstar support on this. They had me do all of the troubleshooting steps. I had verified all was up to date on my pc, drivers, software, ect... It was. I have monitored my temps, got a new cpu cooler, tested ram multiple times, stressed CPU and GPU. All hardware test passed. I got the game through steam, so I have to launch it that way. I just don't know where to go from here. I am in the process of doing another fresh install of win 10 pro. After the problems started, I did a fresh install of Win 11 and the same issues happened. I am going back to win 10 as I just like it a little more. Any suggestions would be great, I thought it was a ram issue, but now I am not sure. I do have a copy of a launcher log file and the msinfo from before I wiped the entire pc last night if that helps.

Thanks,

Hey everyone, I have a problem that has been ongoing for over a month now. When ever I play GTA5 it will crash to the desktop. It was working fine for 28 hours of game play. Now every time I play it, crash. I have contacted Rockstar support on this. They had me do all of the troubleshooting steps. I had verified all was up to date on my pc, drivers, software, ect... It was. I have monitored my temps, got a new cpu cooler, tested ram multiple times, stressed CPU and GPU. All hardware test passed. I got the game through steam, so I have to launch it that way. I just don't know where to go from here. I am in the process of doing another fresh install of win 10 pro. After the problems started, I did a fresh install of Win 11 and the same issues happened. I am going back to win 10 as I just like it a little more. Any suggestions would be great, I thought it was a ram issue, but now I am not sure. I do have a copy of a launcher log file and the msinfo from before I wiped the entire pc last night if that helps.

Thanks,
full pc specs?

May 12, 2022
full pc specs?
Aorus Elite X570 V1 Rolled back BIOS to F35
Ryzen 7 5800x
H150i AIO cpu cooler
RTX 3060ti
Gskill 3200 Cl16-18-18-38 Ram 2x8gb
Seasonic Focus 650W PSU
Main drive: WDS500 NVME 500GB
Game drive: Team TM8FPD 1TB
Now on WIN 10 ver 21H2- Fresh install as of last night. All drivers updated, win updates done,
Let me know if I missed anything. Thanks

Aorus Elite X570 V1 Rolled back BIOS to F35
Ryzen 7 5800x
H150i AIO cpu cooler
RTX 3060ti
Gskill 3200 Cl16-18-18-38 Ram 2x8gb
Seasonic Focus 650W PSU
Main drive: WDS500 NVME 500GB
Game drive: Team TM8FPD 1TB
Now on WIN 10 ver 21H2- Fresh install as of last night. All drivers updated, win updates done,
Let me know if I missed anything. Thanks
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to bios F37 or reflash F35, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), do not enable XMP yet, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, update displayid and resize bar if available, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

May 12, 2022
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to bios F37 or reflash F35, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), do not enable XMP yet, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, update displayid and resize bar if available, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
I will give this a try tonight. My only question is about the power cable. I have an 8 pin connector but I do not have an 8 pin cable. I have 2-4pin cables that attach together. Those are the only 2 connectors on the cables and they come from the PSU directly (hardwired not removable). I will look into the rest today so I can give it a try tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Koekieezz
May 12, 2022
    unknown.png

unknown.png
Ok, so I did the steps you recommend. Only had a few issues
  1. not able to uninstall AMD Chipset from within safe mode, so I did it when I booted to windows, rebooted then continued to reinstall them
  2. not able to disable secure boot in the first part of the BIOS step ( not available to do so) I did the other steps and disabled it when I did the 4G and resizable BAR and CSM disable
  3. When I ran the scan now... it came up with an issue.......ONEDrive, I had removed that on purpose! that was it for issues with the scan
  4. My GPU power cable is an 8 pin that goes from psu to the first 8 pin connector. there is a tale that goes off of that I will attempt to draw it out
[]----------------#--------# it goes PSU-------Plug-----Plug. The plugs are in line, and I used the first one and nothing is on the second one

I then downloaded Destiny 2 so I could try and see if it was GTA5 that is causing the issues or not. I Downloaded it for an hour or so, then I launched the game, Steam says I played for 107min. Which was about right, I set my stopwatch and it was Hour 40 min when I had to stop playing and go to bed. The game ran fine, temps were good on GPU and CPU. Everything ran as I expected it should ( like good) Tonight I am going to test GTA5 and see if that crashes. If it does...Back to Destiny 2 to test again. Thanks for the help and I will report back what I find out tonight

Last edited:
Reactions: Koekieezz