Question Gta5 never running above 40 fps

derekhockey87

Commendable
Jan 12, 2018
I have a gtx 1060 3gb and a i7-7700. Now i think both my gpu and cpu temps at idle are too high, cpu (50-60c) gpu (50c). When i play gta cpu gets into the 80's. This is a pre built computer but i have added 3 cosair fans but only 2 work currently because one of the pin things dont work where i need to plug them in. So could the temperature issue be the reason for such low FPS or is it something else? Can you guys please give me suggestions, and if it is the temperatures what could be the issue because the fans dont seem to help the temperatures

Temps for gpus are fine at load as long as they are not over 90 +-5 degrees C. I think your gpu is fine. The cpu, however, could be throttling when it gets into the 80s. Get MSI Afterburner and check the boxes in the settings to monitor cpu core temps and gpu temps. The important info would be the highs on each core and the gpu as well as the perceived avg temps under load. Report back what you find. GTA, as far as I know, is a very cpu intensive game. If I had to guess I would say that the cpu is temp throttling.

Reactions: derekhockey87
not sure what to look at so here is a lot of the cpu values. View: https://imgur.com/a/Hkso02J

Here is the gpu values View: https://imgur.com/a/UbQ38fQ

DURING GTA5***
These temps were while gaming? If so your GPU temps are great. Look at the top left of the picture regarding GPU temps. The maximum recorded temperature while Afterburner was running is only 61C. Meanwhile, your CPU seems to be getting a bit hot with a minimum of 71 C and max of 83 C. This is further evidence of some CPU throttling. Are you using the stock cooler for the CPU? If so, a cooling solution upgrade might be in order.

derekhockey87

Commendable
Jan 12, 2018
These temps were while gaming? If so your GPU temps are great. Look at the top left of the picture regarding GPU temps. The maximum recorded temperature while Afterburner was running is only 61C. Meanwhile, your CPU seems to be getting a bit hot with a minimum of 71 C and max of 83 C. This is further evidence of some CPU throttling. Are you using the stock cooler for the CPU? If so, a cooling solution upgrade might be in order.
yes these temps were while playing fiveM (gta role play) and yes i am using the stock cooler for the cpu.

derekhockey87

Commendable
Jan 12, 2018
so will upgrading from the stock cpu cooler help with the throttling?? and if so can i please have some recommendations for the i7-7700 and also is it hard to upgrade the cooler because i am a complete noob and i dont want to mess anything up

so will upgrading from the stock cpu cooler help with the throttling?? and if so can i please have some recommendations for the i7-7700 and also is it hard to upgrade the cooler because i am a complete noob and i dont want to mess anything up
Getting those CPU temps under control cannot hurt, it is likely that your CPU is throttling and causing itself to run at a lower clock speed than it is rated for to keep the temperature down. If you are willing to spend a bit of money for the parts it should not be too much of an issue installing the new cooler. Since its not a K version of the processor something like this would be adequate cooling:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H25DYM3/?tag=pcpapi-20

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
I also have an i7 - 7700, even with an Aftermarket Cooler (212x), it reaches 72 Degrees or so in the Summer (I live in an arid country btw). I wouldn't be very worried, just get an aftermarket cooler if it gets too toasty for you. Edit: get an aftermarket cooler, I recommend Cooler Master.

If you're worried about the GPU back in 2018 I had an R9 280 who had a weird issue in the sense that it wasn't performing like it should be. I suppose you should be getting much better performance, but are not. Turns out, my card was running at literal half speed (it was around 475 MHz instead of 950.

I checked it turning on the clock speed in MSI Afterburner. My workaround was downloading a third party GPU monitoring program. I downloaded Asus' one and set my GPU on "Gaming Mode" whenever I was gaming.

I suggest you take a look at your clock speed, might be that, who knows.

Last edited:

SYOB SYOT

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I DO NOT REALLY GET GUYS LIKE YOU. IT IS RUNNING AT 40 FPS AND YOU ARE NOT HAPPY? I MEAN, DUDE, IF IT WAS RUNNING AT 20 FPS, YOUR EYE COULD NOT NOTICE EACH FRAME, BECAUSE IT WOULD BE RUNNING TOO FAST FOR YOUR EYE TO NOTICE. THERE IS NO REASON TO RUN IT ON ANYTHING MORE THAN 20. AND YOU HAVE 40, AND YOU WANT MORE? FOR WHOM? WHO WOULD NOTICE? UNLESS YOU HAVE SUPER FAST CAMERA IN PLACE OF YOUR EYES, YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE WEATHER IT IS 20FPS OR 20KFPS (20000FPS). SO, STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMETHING WHAT YOU DO NOT NEED AND JUST ENJOY THE GAME. ;)

derekhockey87

Commendable
Jan 12, 2018
Getting those CPU temps under control cannot hurt, it is likely that your CPU is throttling and causing itself to run at a lower clock speed than it is rated for to keep the temperature down. If you are willing to spend a bit of money for the parts it should not be too much of an issue installing the new cooler. Since its not a K version of the processor something like this would be adequate cooling:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H25DYM3/?tag=pcpapi-20
Ok i will get this cooler. Is there anything else i need to buy to install it? Thanks for all the help!

Ok i will get this cooler. Is there anything else i need to buy to install it? Thanks for all the help!
Yes, you need a thermal paste for the CPU along with some 90% rubbing alcohol and some coffee filters to remove the old dried up paste for reapplication. I recommend arctic silver 5 for a thermal compound. You can get the smallest tube for about 6-10 dollars. Lookup a youtube video on how to apply thermal paste or find the how-to post on this forums.