GTax 660 ti sli or single graphics card with multiple monitors

xghoststrike

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I can't decide what I need to do nor which is the better and more ethical decision,

I don't know if I should upgrade my gtx 660 ti with another and sli or should I just get a beefy single card

Right now I have 1 gtx 660 ti and everything else in my pic has been upgraded except my gpu because when I built my pic originally my gpu was far superior to everything. But now when I get the money I want to upgrade it just to get it out of the way and and be good,

I have 2 monitors right now, one 27" for gaming and then a secondary 23" for extra use while gaming, soon in the future I plan to have 3 monitor and possibly play (eyefinity- I believe that's what 3 way monitor gaming is called) or just play on one and use the other 2 for others

My friend tells me going sli is a bad idea and I shouldn't do it because of the noise and the heat and blah blah blah, but if it's far better then getting one single card then I'm willing to do the best decision, iv never had heating issues or noise complaints so I don't fear that issue

Can you guys please give me a closure I'm very stumped, and if you think to go with a single card what should I get? (I don't care if Nvidia or readeon I just want the best) I haven't even really looked into which card would be my best bet because I'm thinking sli so I don't know what I should look at

Solution
I'd get a single card. For one thing, the 660Ti has 2GB vRAM which will not not be enough for future and some modern-day games. Getting another 660Ti will not add up the vRAM so you'd still be stuck with 2GB, a major bottleneck. Secondly, it uses a lot more power with two cards, which might mean newer power supply, and it does use more heat and take up case room. Get a GTX 970.
I'd get a single card. For one thing, the 660Ti has 2GB vRAM which will not not be enough for future and some modern-day games. Getting another 660Ti will not add up the vRAM so you'd still be stuck with 2GB, a major bottleneck. Secondly, it uses a lot more power with two cards, which might mean newer power supply, and it does use more heat and take up case room. Get a GTX 970.

Solution

GeForce Junky

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
If you want to use 3 monitors at the same time to game with Nvidia, you need to use 'Nvidia Surround' which only really works if you have 3 monitors the same size and they must be the same resolution. You would need to sell the 23" and buy 2 more 27". I use 680 SLI to run this combination, which is great for older games, but with newer games the 2GB ram becomes a problem, so I would suggest against a second 660Ti and suggest a 970 instead.