[SOLVED] GtG vs MPRT response time

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
I am looking to buy a monitor with 144hz and 1ms. The problem is the monitors say 1ms for MPRT but then it says 4ms for GtG. What is true to the ms and is more important? I don't know if GtG is more important which 4ms is making it not what i want (1ms) or... if that doesn't matter and the 1ms MPRT is what I'm looking for.

Solution
1ms in response time, as simple as that... i dont want 4ms response time i want 1ms but i dont get the GtG and MPRT side of things... it says ill get 1ms mprt but then 4ms gtg like which one is the most important one that i want to have 1ms

what do you want to respond? the image is refreshed 144 times a minute. you're shown 144 frames per minute. response time is the time it takes to shift colours. but most monitors list a grey-to-grey response time, which looks really nice but actually isn't anything particularly useful. also worth to mention that response time != input lag. a "bad response time" will result in some ghosting not in a slower showing of the frame and not in slower reactions.

generally you want both low MPRT...

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
it doesn't matter. MPRT = refreshrate usually. 144Hz = MPRT of 7ms. with some special tricks you can get lower in theory.
GTG is mostly a marketing metric.

refresh rate is important, image quality is important. the rest is marketing.
okay so if I get a 144Hz monitor with 4 ms GtG and 1 ms MTBR is that fine and actually 1ms?

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
what is "actually 1ms" in your book? because "actually 1ms" means nothing without specifying what "1ms" actually is.
1ms in response time, as simple as that... i dont want 4ms response time i want 1ms but i dont get the GtG and MPRT side of things... it says ill get 1ms mprt but then 4ms gtg like which one is the most important one that i want to have 1ms

what do you want to respond? the image is refreshed 144 times a minute. you're shown 144 frames per minute. response time is the time it takes to shift colours. but most monitors list a grey-to-grey response time, which looks really nice but actually isn't anything particularly useful. also worth to mention that response time != input lag. a "bad response time" will result in some ghosting not in a slower showing of the frame and not in slower reactions.

generally you want both low MPRT and low GTG. MPRT determines motion blur, gtg determines ghosting and artifacting.

Solution

amrscore10

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018

generally you want both low MPRT and low GTG. MPRT determines motion blur, gtg determines ghosting and artifacting.
so do you think a 1ms MPRT and 4ms GTG is a solid monitor to get for gaming?