GTS 250 or HD 5750

isamuelson

Distinguished
I see a deal currently at Microcenter where I could get a 1GB DDR3 PCIe GTS 250 for $130. Or, I can get the HD 5750 for $160. DirectX 11 is a way I'd like to go eventually, but I don't know if it's worth getting a card at this point that does it.

My current video card is an HD 3870. I cannot do Crossfire on my current motherboard and I just upgrade to this motherboard, so Crossfire is not an option.

As far as the 5750 goes, it runs close to what the GTS 250 does, but I'm also looking at longer term, which would last me longer? As far as DX11 goes, from what I can tel, the 5750 would probably have a hard time running any DX11 applications (when they come out) at full details.

My monitor maxes out at 1280x1024 (17" Acer).

I do know the 5750 consumes less energy, but for over all look and performance, which is the better bang for my buck? I don't see myself getting a 5770 right now, and I want my card to perform well for the next couple of years.

I'm leaning towards the GTS 250 just because of price/performance.

Solution
I don't know why you're looking only at Microcenter but those are really expensive.

Newegg has the GTS 250 for around $110 and the Radeon 5750 for $145. They even have the Radeon 5770 for the $160 you're looking at paying Microcenter for the 5750.

I recommend looking some place else and getting the 5770(I did) or save the $50 and get the GTS 250 if you want but don't buy anything from Microcenter. Newegg can give you credit too if that's what the problem is.

DudemanX

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I don't know why you're looking only at Microcenter but those are really expensive.

Newegg has the GTS 250 for around $110 and the Radeon 5750 for $145. They even have the Radeon 5770 for the $160 you're looking at paying Microcenter for the 5750.

I recommend looking some place else and getting the 5770(I did) or save the $50 and get the GTS 250 if you want but don't buy anything from Microcenter. Newegg can give you credit too if that's what the problem is.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished

It's called impatience. I want it now! :bounce:

Actually, I upgraded my PC to an AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE (memory, motherboard, cpu) for $250 from Microcenter. I purchased the Phenom for $99 and got $20 off the motherboard as well, so that was a pretty good deal from what I could tell.

But anyways, even from Newegg, which is the better deal in your opinion? At the prices from Newegg, I suppose the 5770 is the best because it definitely runs circles around the GTS 250.

DudemanX

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Well I just ordered the XFX 5770 with the reference shroud cooler for $159 and free shipping. Can't tell you how great it is yet since it's supposed to arrive later today or tomorrow but if it lives up the reviews it should definitely be the way to go.

The 5770's have been slowly trickling down in price over the last few weeks so I finally pulled the trigger. I don't know if they'll drop even farther since they're already pretty darn close to the 5750 but you never know.

The only reason not to consider the 5770 is if you have a really old motherboard. I've heard tales of these new 5000 series cards not working with older PCI-E slots. Sometimes a BIOS update will fix it but a friend of mine had to return his because he couldn't get it to work in his older nvidia based motherboard.

Good luck.