GTS 250 or Radeon 5750

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Hello
I currently have a Geforce 8800GTS 640MB which I understand is a very good card. I play X3 Terran Conflict at 1920x1200 and maximum settings but during "busy" scenes such as a large fight, i receive significant lag.
I have 3GB DDR2 RAM and a DuoCore processor.
I am unsure between the nVidia GTS 250 or the ATI Radeon 5750.
Any suggestions?
They are both ~£100 on Dabs.com

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Up to three displays would be rather useful I guess, if I ever did want to add a third screen.

Jvjjy- that overclocks link doesn't seem to be loading for me. What's the card/price?

I was just speaking to a friend of mine, and considering the PC has 3GB DDR2 RAM and a DuoCore Processor, what are people's opinions on a need to upgrade the entire system? I do think thought that for the moment, If i can get a good card, then I should be okay for a while at least.

I was also thinking of buying a little bit of time by deactivating the 2nd screen during gaming, as it's not normally used, just sitting there with a pretty desktop. Would this put less strain on the graphics card?

Thanks again,

Mike

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Do the 5750 and 5770 both have 3 DVI outputs?
Also, is the performance upgrade on the 5770 really worth the extra ~£20?
The processor I actually have is... E7300

Thanks,

Mike

Your processor is fine, especially if you overclock it. For your resolution the HD5770 is definitely worth extra money. Most would say it's the minimum you want to consider for 1920x1200.

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Okay I think i'll be going for the HD5770. I was just checking the inside of the PC and thought i'd mention that it's a 650W PSU. Is that going to be okay? I would imagine so.
Additionally, will the mentioned graphics card still fit? What is its size in comparison with the 8800GTS, and is all its cabling and required slots the same? I know my main computer has a GTX260 and its the size of 2 household bricks, monster of a card physically.
Also I noticed that both the RAM Cards are 2GB and yet on My Computer Properties it only says 3GB. How bizarre... :S

Thanks again!

Mike

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Ah, just checked and its only registering the 3GB of ram as its a 32-bit OS. Was sure it was 64bit... oh well!

So its a smaller card, requires less power, and is more powerful! Perfect. One 6pin power connector... do you know what my current card needs? And what about PCI-E slots e.t.c?

Thanks again,

Mike

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure it is, to confirm I would imagine I would have to remove the graphics card to check? Where is the best place to purchase the chosen card and are there any offers/discount codes? (Living in Midlands-ENGLAND)
I am often unsure when it actually comes round to purchasing the card as there are so many of the same card, under different companies and BestValue companies e.t.c.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Ah that's useful then!
With the card, looking at the picture, what outputs does it have?
It looks like 2 HDMI's and 2 DVI-D's? Did any of the card's we discussed have 3 DVI's or is that only the real top-end cards?

Thanks,

Mike

notty22

Distinguished
IF you were to use 3 monitors with any of the 5 series cards you need to use the display port. Theres some driver bugs with this(in gaming). Also some vendors include a adapter to use the display port(most don't) it can be expensive. If using just 2 monitors , you can use any of the available ports.

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Ah i see. I plan on just using the 2 DVI-D's available for my 2 monitors. Am about to purchase that card now, but out of interest for my other computer, are there any other similar cards that have 3 DVI-D's? Also, as regards to the card in mention, could you have 2 monitors connected by DVI-D as well as a TV connected by HDMI, all at the same time?

Thanks in advance,

Mike