Gts 250 power supply prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
First time modder, and quite green here. Just got a MSI GTS 250 1gb, and I'm dieing to get this thing running. I'm worried about my power supply, its 450 watts, but the other specs confuse me. Heres what's on the power supply:

+3.3v 28A
+12v 20A
-5V 0.5A
+5VSB 2.0A

Worried about the +12V 20Amp.
Plus it doesn't have the PCI E power connector, but I've got plenty of molex open.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Yeah haha that wouldn't do you any good.

Im not to sure about this GPU, its from powercolor and its got a dirt2 game coupon included also. Its the cheapest they have and you would get in under the $175 mark(by a few cents) after rebates, It should be fine however.

Otherwise you can get this sapphire 5770 for $10 more with no games.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'm guessing that your PSU came with your current computer?

Send us the model number(assuming its a brand PC) and any upgrades you've done.

That power supply seem's almost ok in theory, But in practice I doubt it. You should also tell us your location(or we'll assume US) and the price your willing to pay for a replacement.

Thanks,
Joe

Timop

Distinguished
^Nope, the PSU, even if it worked at its rated specs is not "okay".

240W on the 12v is barely enough for the GTS250 itself as it uses 175W on maximum load. It seems like an older model also, as the +3.3 rail is quite high powered.

What is your case and budget?

Granite1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I bought an Ibuypower bundle about 2 years ago:

core 2 duo e8400
4gigs ram Asus p5kpl-cm mobo
geforce 8500gt
PSU is generic, lists 450 wats, but that don't mean squat
NZXT case (Alpha? can't remember its blue inside great night light for the kids)

I just blew my play money on the GPU, so I've got about 50 bucks for the next coupple o weeks. Unless I work side jobs over the weekend.....

Granite1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Thanks for all the info folks! I guess my hunch was correct, I'd better upgrade the power supply if I want to run this card.

I'll have to do some serious fenangling with the wife to get more money for this thing.....

Granite1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I looked into the ATI cards, and heard they were power hungry and hot. Heat started the whole UG in the beginning. I started watching the temps with speed fan and the 8500gt was idling at 68C, 96C under load, thats stock un oc'd. So I started researching, and this MSI card had good reviews on temps, it has the two fans on it.
I was a Raedon fan back in the days, had a 9800 Pro that ran all my gams up until FEAR. Then I just upgraded the whole system.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
No, ATi cards are not power hungry, they use reasonable amounts of power and a relatively cool.

I recommend you return your GTS 250 and purchase a ATi 5770, Along with THIS psu, it costs 64.99($15 above the other one) however with rebates it comes in at the same price, Its also modular and has 50w's more.

Should end up costing <$200.

Timop

Distinguished

The Modstream Pro is Modular also, just to note.

$200 seems to be pushing his budget though, along with the return shipping charge, 15% newegg restocking fee and the fact he probably already cut off the UPC for the rebate makes returning the 250 pretty worthwhile.

The 5770 would be a great choice in the beginning, as there are GPU+PSU combos around, but now, unless you can get rid of the 250 without losing any money, its gonna be better buying a PSU.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

^
+1

Agreed, So now its just out of either of those power supplies. I recommend the OCZ Fatal1ty one yet again.

Granite1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I just got the 250 today, haven't cut the upc out yet. I might just return this thing, unless I get hammered with restock fees. I thought I researched the crap out of these cards...I guess I'm too green to know what I'm reading :) Yeah $200 is pushin it. I had to swindle my way through just the Video card, now a PSU.....I might as well build a shed in the back yard and live there for a while.

She's not going to be happy. Self inflicted all the way though. O, she handles the money btw, if you haven't picked up on that.

Granite1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Thanks for all of the advice folks, I wish I'd joined a forum and asked questions....before I bought the card. That would have been smart.

I've got a friend trying to hunt A PSU down from his office as well, so I'll probably just upgrade the PSU and deal with the GTS for now.

I've got a lot to leard before I build one from scratch.

Timop

Distinguished
(If you want) Email newegg, lots of reps just let you off and could waive return shipping also in some cases.

Tell her the PSU if more efficient and save you electricity compared to your old PSU that it pays its self back in no time. Maybe show the kids the snazzy red lights on the Fata1ty and let the kids do the talking... XD

Granite1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
If I can't hunt one down from my office or my friends, I'll look into the OCZ Fatal1ty and proab just buy it....regardless of the abrupt beating about the head and shoulders.

Thanks again! I'm glad I asked before I fried something :)

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Yeah haha that wouldn't do you any good.

Im not to sure about this GPU, its from powercolor and its got a dirt2 game coupon included also. Its the cheapest they have and you would get in under the $175 mark(by a few cents) after rebates, It should be fine however.

Otherwise you can get this sapphire 5770 for $10 more with no games.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS