GTS 450 Not being detected anymore

Raga08

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Good evening everyone,

I've nearly ripped what little hair I have left figuring this one out. I know a bit more than the average person but am not a computer expert.

Current setup:

OS - Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Processor - AMD Phenom II X2 560
GPU - GTS 450
Ram - 4GB Patriot DDR3
Powersupply - Huntkey 550w (also tried a Corsair GS700 PS, same problem)
Mobo - Asus MSQ-M4N68T-MV2

Nothing is or was over clocked. The computer worked fine. Played some games on it ran well for such a budget computer. Had it 2 days. Third day I turn it on, fans on sounds normal but no display. Change video cable to onboard, I get my normal windows screen on display. I go to device manager, the video card is not there in display adapters nor is there any yellow !'s. The fan is spinning like normal on the video card. It is completely seated on the motherboard, there is a 6pin power plugged into it like its supposed to be. The computer boots up normally and everything I just cant get it to detect the video card. Have uninstalled/reinstalled video drivers, and completely updated windows.

I tried taking the video card out, booting up without it, turning off then booting up with video card in nothing.

Flashed BIOS to newest version, didnt change anything.

Reset CMOS, didnt do anything.

How does it work one day and not the next? I have no idea. Why is it not being detected in device manager? I have no idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Raga

Raga08

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Put in a video card from my other computer, it worked. Weird, never had a video card still have a fan that spins yet not work! Or a new one that just goes bad after a few days of nothing heavy either. I bought it at Best Buy but lost my receipt, it was an EVGA, I've had nothing but good experiences from them in the past hopefully with the serial number on the card they can still honor the warranty.

Thanks everyone

Due to the fact that it ran fine for two days it is most likely the video card, as it looks like everyone already pointed out. I suppose it's possible that the cheap PSU you originally had could have damaged your GTS 450 by having unstable power, but that's not common among crappy PSUs. They generally just cause instability, trigger over volt protection and restart, or blow up when stressed ^_^. Anyway, keep that Corsair in there and get rid of that Huntkey PSU.