GTS 450 with small LCD HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountBasic

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I recently upgraded my PC to an Intel 2.93 i7 870 with a NVidia GeForce GTS 450. I also bought a small (33cm) VIVO HDTV to use as a monitor...it's connected to the graphics card with a HDMI cable. The display is set to 1080p 1920 x 1080 and I usually have to control+ a few times to read web pages as my eyes are getting bad.
I have a problem with display of new MMORPG's, most of which are too big to fit on my screen...often displaying only the top half or top left quarter of the picture.
In other games/settings I can see the whole screen, but the cursor will be frozen, although there seems to be an "invisible" cursor that highlights fields, buttons etc when I move the mouse.
Even if I choose a windowed display for the game I still have problems with the cursor not working properly ( visible cursor but not registering in the fields and buttons again).

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Should I change the resolution on my TV/monitor?

Should I forget about using the small TV and buy a dedicated monitor instead?

Or can anyone please give me advice on the correct display settings to play online games fullscreen?

To confuse the issue FLYFF runs perfectly on 1024 x 768 (some settings in FLYFF have a 'wide' option but not 1024x768, which fits perfectly on my screen)... but Eden Eternal wont fit on the screen at that resolution except in windowed mode, but then the problem with the cursor manifests.

This problem is beyond me, and I would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Solution
Try settings the resolution with Windows and not the game.I would say get a dedicated monitor.They always look better and they never have problems like this.

CountBasic

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Thanks, but its a new TV...on special last Xmas ...its full HD 1920x1080...I think I'll move the TV into my bedroom and get a dedicated monitor

CountBasic

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Thanks...I've fiddled a lot with different resolutions, but I did it thru the NVIDIA menu.
I just set the slider to 1280x720 via the windows 7 rightclick option...I'll see how that looks, but I suspect its time to buy a proper monitor.

Cheers.

CountBasic

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Thanks guys...my old monitor (ASUS LCD) has DVI and Dsub connectors. I just looked at the NVIDIA connections and the 24 pin DVI should match with my old monitor until I can get a newer model.
Thanks both of you for your helpful advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.