gts card and power supply

G

Here is an interesting one. new abit 64mb gts card hangs on new driver reboot.Black screen. Have tried every driver, formatted hard drive and reinstall, no conflicts, card recognised but works only in 16 colours, monitor fine,bios fine and latest etc. suggestions on my dell 440bx board are power supply or motherboard. yet I have read a big review of same cards using same system spec. I have now tried all but the expensive options. Has anybody got any suggestions that are different from the above.

G

hmmm, I used a much more power eating Geforce 256 on my BX system. It was an asus mobo thaugh those things can take a lot!!
I would try the card in another system (friends or so), it could be the card has indeed not enaugh power.
Just be carefull with AGP cards. I accidently didn't pushed the card far enaugh in it's AGP slot. It booted first in 16 colour, and after that I heard bip bip bieep meaning there was no video card present in the system. I had blown the card!!

I would try testen the card in another system, but before you do that you could check if you're card isn't in conflict with another device. If you list you're IRQ settings in windows, you're card should have a unique IRQ not used by any other device.

If that seems okay, try the card on another system. If it works it might be you're powersuplly who is too weak. If it doesn't work also i hope you didn't blow you're card like I did!

Hope this helps a bit,

Godim

G

Ta- no irq conflicts,card seated correctly, may be power supply where agp power provided by a linear regulator can drop the voltage below 3.3 v. But this is a dell and intel board 18 months old with agp2. So it should cope as the gts requirement is within spec.Looks like a new motherboard! A popular phrase would be 'i don't believe it' must be a conspiracy to extract my pounds in large amounts. I will try card elsewhere