GTS or PRO?

dhlucke

Polypheme
First off, I really want to enjoy games. Right now it sucks on a Voodoo3. So which chipset will I be happier with? My games are Tribes2,Sacrifice,Max Payne,UT,Giants,LOD,Black and White, etc....

Second off, I still haven't been convinced by the Radeon DDR.

I'm buying all of my components from Newegg, so which card should I go for? As far as the Pro cards, the:

CardExpert GeForce 2 Pro/450 64MB, 4.5ns, DDR with TV-Out for $137.00 looks good.

I haven't really considered GTS cards (due to 6ns memory vs 4.5-5ns), but I wouldn't mind saving money. Yet I'm boggled by the fact that ASUS's 32 MB GTS cards cost more than most 64 MB PRO cards.

Would I be sacrificing too much with a GTS? I'm also curious if I'll notice a huge difference between and Ultra and a Pro. The Ultra is out of my price range, but I don't want to be completely nuked by it. The 4.5 ns DDR on the Pro above seems pretty good, but I can't really find any decent reviews on Pro cards since they're so old already.

I'm sick of having a 19" monitor that I can't run good resolutions on. It's time for a decent videocard!

<font color=red>Change the sig of the week!</font color=red>

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I have leadtek pro 200/400 and asus gts 200/364 (overlocked to 220/390 mem). And I had an evga pro but I took it back because it was a lemon.

And I actaully prefer the asus. It's been more trouble free, even if only slightly so. I can't really tell the difference between them as far as FPS. And really 70+ frames per second gets it done quite nicely. And all the asus boards i've put in other ppls machines are running trouble free. I hate to brand drop but that's my personal
experience.

I had minor trouble with other brands. Small things like like drivers cause fliker, so i update Det drivers, then that causes mouse trouble, so I update mouse drivers,
then that causes other game trouble....and so on...

The leadtek pro actually refuses to pwr up about 1 out of 3 times, And I have to pwr off and pwr on again.
That may be the PSU and not the card...but I had NO trouble with asus GF in the same computer....hm

asus is really good about their drivers and updating them. I like the asus utilities because they allow SEPARATE gamma adjustment for DESKTOP/D3D/OPENGL. This may seem piddly, but for gaming on-line I like to tab out and crank up the gamma for each map without having to make my destop so bright it gives me a tan.

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain

dhlucke

Polypheme
Pro makes too much sense now, and I'm not in the mood to pay for ultra. As far as the CardExpert card above...

<A HREF="http://www.datorteknik.nu/recension_artikel.asp?id=75&page=1" target="_new">http://www.datorteknik.nu/recension_artikel.asp?id=75&page=1</A>

Basically I've run out of English sites, so I'm moving on to foriegn languages. Luckily I can read Scandinavian languages. Basically they said the card is as close to an Ultra as you can get. They overclocked it to 250/470 MHz with no problem and gave it a 8.5/10 score. Problem with the review is they don't compare it with other cards. Damn them.

I wish I had better reviews to work with, but this card looks pretty damn good for the price...

Here are some for the 400, but you get the idea. Basically I think this is the card to get...
<A HREF="http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/hardware/index.cfm/action/view/id/494" target="_new">http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/hardware/index.cfm/action/view/id/494</A>
<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles/gf2progainwardcardexpert400/index.html" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles/gf2progainwardcardexpert400/index.html</A>

<font color=red>Change the sig of the week!</font color=red>

G

hey bud why was your evga gf2 pro a lemon? i unfortunately got that 6ns "pro" card, was it a lemon cause it had 6ns?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The GeForce2 Titanium should be out soon. It shouldn't be too expensive either.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
how could UT suck on a Voodoo3??? Man my friend has one and it looks so0o0o0o much better than any other card. I miss 3DFX.

<font color=red>To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie</font color=red>.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by igottaknife on 09/06/01 08:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pro or Ultra are far more worth thier mony than the GTS.

Don't buy Asus vid cards, they just plain ol suck when it comes to compatability and quality control. Leadtek's GF2's aint the best but they get the job done for a good price.

<font color=red>To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie</font color=red>.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I respect your opinion, but based on my erxperience with many gf cards....I simply couldn't disagree with you more.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I bought the evga because it had faster stock mem clk than the gts for about 50 bucks less....however, when I started to play games it was really really choking bad. In fact my Asus gf256 was totally getting better scores.

I spent 2 solid days tweaking and loading drivers, detonators (many), via 4in 1, the stock drivers....nothing helped. I had to come to the conclusion the card was simply defective. So returned it and got a different brand that just kicked the evga's booty and
without any ridiculous hassle.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 09/06/01 10:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
That is the same card I was looking at getting and I have heard it kicks ass. I have a friend who has owned an Asus GTS card and then he bought the CardExpert GF2 Pro and was totally blown away. The core/memory clocks as well as the memory timing are some of the best you can find and the price on that card is one of the lowest I have seen on Pro cards. I currently have the Radeon 32MB DDR card and I as soon as I have the means I am getting a GF2 Pro or better. Hopefully a GF3, but that probably won't happen for a while...

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
from what I see Asus has the hardest time getting thier cards to work on thier own boards. Search around there are tons of complaints about it on this forum alone.

<font color=red>To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie</font color=red>.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
True…I "see" in print the same thing as you, here especially.
And I will agree that it appears statistically Asus has more probs than
other brands. But remember a quote from Mark Twain..."There's lies, damn lies, and statistics..."

Since Asus probably out sells all the other brands combined
it's not unlikely that more post about asus probs appear.

For instance if Asus sells 10 boards to leadteks 2 boards (hypothetical)
then I would fully expect 5 times as many asus posts. But that would not mean that asus has 5 times as many problems.

Again…I'm only speaking from my personal experience. All the Asus boards I've installed are trouble free.
About 8 of them (all on Abit boards Ironically)
Whereas virtually every one of the other brands I've bought had at least some problems.

Don't misread me, I couldn't care less about Asus. I was just giving anecdotal information from personal experience.

dhlucke

Polypheme
UT is probably the best looking game I got so I'm not complaining too much about that, but something like tribes2 doesn't even work. Sacrafice is a joke, even Diablo2 LOD chokes up at every boss. It's gotten to be pathetic. When 3DFX went out of business and stopped releasing drivers I knew this would happen. For a while x3DFX was releasing drivers, but they had to stop or get sued.

I think I'll just get the Cardexpert unless something else pops up in the next couple of weeks, which I doubt. That card is pretty damn good unless I want to fork out more money for an Ultra which I don't.

<font color=red>Ever wonder what it would be like to be eaten alive by a Great White shark?</font color=red>