Question GTX 1030 LP And 240W PSU

Feb 15, 2019
Hi would i be ok throwing a 1030 low profile gpu in my 240w build. i wanted to throw in a GTX 1050ti lp but it seems like that wouldn't be recommended on a 240W PSU. what else would be the best gpu besides the GTX 1030 or best recommended for this build? it's a dell optiplex 9010 SFF with a 240W PSU. Here are the specs

Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHZ
4GB of RAM
32bit Operating System/ 64Bit based proccesor
Stock GPU AMD Radeon 7000 Series

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
actually, the 240w PSU inside the Optiplex 9010 is enough for a GTX 1050 Ti that does't need extra power, since it will only need 75-100W that it will get from the motherboard and the i5-3570 only needs up to 77w to perform when using turbo, along with the very small amount of power needed for RAM and hard drives 240w is enough.

So you can put a 1050Ti in it as long as it's low profile and doesn't require extra power, and then I would highly recommend upgrading the 4GB of RAM to 8GB and then you'll have yourself a decent low spec budget gaming PC.

I would advise against just putting another 4GB stick in there though and opt for either a single 8GB stick of DDR3 or two 4GB sticks that are part of a kit, not separate random sticks, if you can get them. Check your local used market to get them super cheap, they don't need to be that fast and 1333Mhz will be enough but it will support running RAM up to 1600Mhz. And anything with a higher speed will work too, it just won't run at those speeds and will default to 1333Mhz but you can go into the BIOS and enable the XMP and they will run at 1600 but only if it's higher speed than 1600, 1333 won't magically run at 1600 it will run at 1333.

So basically you can buy whatever you can find for the cheapest price and throw them in there replacing the 4GB that it currently has.

Feb 15, 2019
actually, the 240w PSU inside the Optiplex 9010 is enough for a GTX 1050 Ti that does't need extra power, since it will only need 75-100W that it will get from the motherboard and the i5-3570 only needs up to 77w to perform when using turbo, along with the very small amount of power needed for RAM and hard drives 240w is enough.

So you can put a 1050Ti in it as long as it's low profile and doesn't require extra power, and then I would highly recommend upgrading the 4GB of RAM to 8GB and then you'll have yourself a decent low spec budget gaming PC.

I would advise against just putting another 4GB stick in there though and opt for either a single 8GB stick of DDR3 or two 4GB sticks that are part of a kit, not separate random sticks, if you can get them. Check your local used market to get them super cheap, they don't need to be that fast and 1333Mhz will be enough but it will support running RAM up to 1600Mhz. And anything with a higher speed will work too, it just won't run at those speeds and will default to 1333Mhz but you can go into the BIOS and enable the XMP and they will run at 1600 but only if it's higher speed than 1600, 1333 won't magically run at 1600 it will run at 1333.

So basically you can buy whatever you can find for the cheapest price and throw them in there replacing the 4GB that it currently has.
Ok, in the case i went for the gtx 1030 lp, it says on their website Integrated with 2GB GDDR5 64bit memory does that mean it'll only work on a 64bit (mine is a 32bit) or is that just the memory of the GPU? (noob to pc gaming)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
it's just memory for the GPU. But again, don't expect to play anything modern with it.
the most it's good for is games that don't require crap all for hardware to run and older games.

So you won't be playing the newest CoD or Battlefield.
No PUBG, you might be able to play Fortnite at 720p 30fps on low settings.

WoW can be run, but on lower settings and most likely 720p yet again.

It's really not a gaming card and better suited for other simple graphics related tasks.

At the very least a GTX 1050 is what you should have for low spec gaming, but the 1050 Ti is a much better option if that's within your budget.

And since you have 4GB of RAM, that alone will limit you extremely on what games you can even play as a lot of newer games require at least 6GB and often 8GB.

The 1030 is good for emulators though.

Feb 15, 2019
it's just memory for the GPU. But again, don't expect to play anything modern with it.
the most it's good for is games that don't require crap all for hardware to run and older games.

So you won't be playing the newest CoD or Battlefield.
No PUBG, you might be able to play Fortnite at 720p 30fps on low settings.

WoW can be run, but on lower settings and most likely 720p yet again.

It's really not a gaming card and better suited for other simple graphics related tasks.

At the very least a GTX 1050 is what you should have for low spec gaming, but the 1050 Ti is a much better option if that's within your budget.

And since you have 4GB of RAM, that alone will limit you extremely on what games you can even play as a lot of newer games require at least 6GB and often 8GB.

The 1030 is good for emulators though.
Right, i'll be going with the 1050ti. Just afraid of pushing it too much.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you won't be pushing it too much. just don't do anything with overclocking and you're good.

Because the card can't pull more than a max of 100w from the PCIe at any given time because that is the limitation of the slot itself.

And for the most part it will stick to using 75w.