Gtx 1050 Frame Drops

Ancient_2

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
i put in a gtx 1050 into a hp compaq 6200 (320w) it works fine im typing on it right now, but when I play game my frames will drop to 0 for a second then jump back up to 60 and in action scenes it literately unplayable is it because of the low wattage or is it something wrong with my gtx 1050?

Solution

More than likely, it probably can't handle it, the PSU in the case isn't a 80% efficiency PSU either so it can't run at high watts constantly, it probably is running at like...

Ancient_2

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
uhh you can search up the specs for the hp compaq 6200 its the i5 2500 model i have (yes i tried building my own pc i kind of broke the rest of my parts so i just put my Graphics card in a pre built)

Kavinqt

Distinguished
You really broke your parts? :p That's rare. Anyways yeah... that prebuilt is pretty junky. there is a saying about HP and how bad they are :p and the power supply in that thing has to be very crappy. You'd be better off buying a new case and a new power supply and putting everything from that pre built into the new case. if that's not an option you will have to be a small form factor power supply and put it in that case.

Ancient_2

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

id love too but the motherboard is custom and only works with psu in this case, do you think its the low wattage causing the drops?

Kavinqt

Distinguished

More than likely, it probably can't handle it, the PSU in the case isn't a 80% efficiency PSU either so it can't run at high watts constantly, it probably is running at like 250w/s constantly which is not going to be enough for your system.

Solution