Feb 9, 2021
i have HP Desktop P7 1040l, an old model from 2010 back.
it powered only by 200w PSU and currently running :
mobo Carmel LGA 1155 DDR3
i5 2400 2.5Ghz
8Gb RAM Vgen platinum (maxed)
Ati Hd 4350 512Mb (no xtra power pin)
1 HDD 3.5" 500Gb
1 HDD 2.5" 1Tb

so basically i Bought ZOTAC GTX 1050 mini 2Gb single fan (no power pin)

this evening. when i switch the card. i got beep. i tried to remove CMOS and reseat the RAM and the new vga card. i got no beep. windows 7 start sound chime heard. but my monitor says No Signal (DVI D 24-1 cable)

what happened to me exactly ?
from what i knew. the PCIE X16 slot will provide up to 75w max no matter what . and the gpu need no extra power and have none extra power pin.
so .... what happened ?
i need it running asap. because i want to work on a bigger project (moving from 540p to 1080p project)

i knew this bundled pc is a grandpa. but please help me folks. i am a father of two

Feb 9, 2021
i tried to remove the new card and use onboard dvi port . and it worked. no beep. all smooth. but when i put back the new card. the beeps occur.
it was a 7 long beep . and follows with 1 quick short beep.

Modern graphics cards require a uefi bios to be recognized.
This started with card generations after the GTX-7xx series.
Some graphics cards will tolerate legacy, and some may even have a legacy/uefi switch.
Zotac may have a firmware patch for you if you contact support.
Otherwise, return the card and look for one with legacy compatibility.

Reactions: hikaru00007

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pcie 75w.
Mobo, drives, fans, ram, everything @ 50w-100w ish
I5-2400 95w.

Post will run a 50%-70% load on the psu. So right off the bat it's pulling 100w (or more).

On a psu that's got a sticker saying it's 200w, but at this age is more than likely closer to the 150-170w range.

Roughly, that psu is not intended for high pcie wattage gpus, something like a GT 1030 that pulls 20w or so will be the only cards that will work.

Many of those boards do not have a standard 75w rated pcie slot for just this reason, they use a 25w max power circuit to the pcie slot.

Feb 9, 2021
Modern graphics cards require a uefi bios to be recognized.
This started with card generations after the GTX-7xx series.
Some graphics cards will tolerate legacy, and some may even have a legacy/uefi switch.
Zotac may have a firmware patch for you if you contact support.
Otherwise, return the card and look for one with legacy compatibility.
i am a newbie pc builder. and i read here and there about pc building. so . i am aware of RUFUS and how it can produce UEFI installation. . . so . is BIOS defined by how my mobo manufactured or i can just install fresh windows 10 in uefi ? (after updating bios from within windows, i found that there's "uefi boot device" listed in boot menu, of course i installed this win 7 ultimate with MBR back then)

Feb 9, 2021
Pcie 75w.
Mobo, drives, fans, ram, everything @ 50w-100w ish
I5-2400 95w.

Post will run a 50%-70% load on the psu. So right off the bat it's pulling 100w (or more).

On a psu that's got a sticker saying it's 200w, but at this age is more than likely closer to the 150-170w range.

Roughly, that psu is not intended for high pcie wattage gpus, something like a GT 1030 that pulls 20w or so will be the only cards that will work.

Many of those boards do not have a standard 75w rated pcie slot for just this reason, they use a 25w max power circuit to the pcie slot.
my old ATI HD 4350 indeed ... draws 20w power .. man. even this IPISB-CU rev 1.02a mobo doesn't have a detailed spec anywhere on the internet. i intrigued to see if this pcie x16 slot really never gave 75w ..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's more than a few of the uber cheapo that do not, many of the older HP boards don't either. It's not only cheaper to manufacture the low wattage pcie, on a large scale basis, but also helps limit wattage requirements on pc's used in EU etc, so bypasses certain regulatory statutes.

And building a 200w psu is far cheaper than building a 400w psu, just in materials on a large scale.

It's why places like Walmart could sell a fully assembled windows pc for $500 that you can't buy equitable parts for less than $600 without windows.

Feb 9, 2021
UPDATE :
i tried everything possible and write it down on paper the chance. and result. and here's my latest condition.

i do made win 10 pro Uefi NTFS installation with RUFUS. my bios read it and i went into installation process. however. i wipe one of my disk using cmd before going through the steps. convert it into GPT . and install the windows. it works. my system information shows UEFI system. and bcdedit from cmd return winload.efi

this morning i moved my ram to another slot after my old ati hd card has no signal issue. it works. i shutdown my pc within windows.

i put back my GTX 1050 mini and i got no error beep.

but now i got no signal issue. no signal at all. power on . but no POST screen . nothing.

i ask one more from good gentleman here.
should i change only mobo. or i have to go for psu also ?
ZOTAC CS support said to me this card need UEFI native mobo . and the power seems limited due to thia OEM mobo maybe ..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And that in itself is an issue. You can't change the motherboard. It's HP, your windows is tied to the motherboard. It's HP, so will have proprietary connections for anything like front connectors or even the power supply hookup.
Those boards and case etc weren't meant to be upgraded or changed, just replaced to factory stock.
It HP from @ 2010, any thing you find to fit that cpu is going to be old, reliability becomes a serious issue with a 10yr old motherboard and very unknown usage.
I'd hate to see you spend money on a bigger rated psu and it still not work because of UEFI issues.

The least frustrating option would be to replace the entire pc with one is native UEFI, that will support the card, which is Intel 4th generation or newer for those 3rd party build like HP or Dell etc. They will also have a psu that's at least 300w or so, certainly more than the 200w you have now.

4th gen is only 6 years old±, so stands a greater chance of reliability for several more years, has a newer and stronger cpu that will support the 1050ti far better than the i5 2400 ever could.

Then move your data over, wipe the drives, reinstall windows to a non-registered version, and sell the old pc and recover at least a few $ back.

Feb 9, 2021
my purpose to upgrade was solely to take advantage of CUDA cores when rendering with adobe media encoder. to minimize rendering time. i don't know if rendering will cause bottleneck like game does. but yes. old cpu will bottleneck high end gpu

i am pretty tight on budget and i can't even dare to dream about moving to next LGA socket (because i gotta buy new CPU). thus i really count on every item i own.

so, is this vga would run if i buy one of those UEFI LGA 1155 mobo ? (because this oem mobo seems limit the power to pcie x16 bus)