gtx 1050 ti 4gb, sudden fps drops very weird

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
so basically i'm having sudden fps drops from around 80-100 fps to like 20 and less on my factory NEW laptop. it happens every 10-20 seconds and lasts around 10 seconds.i seriously don't know why does this happen and it makes me abnormally nevrous because i don't want to send it back to the store where bought it because they sent me a faulty product. another thing i noticed is that the nvidia geforce experiece stopped recongizing my game settings and it even can't find any new games i download to my laptop. i don't know but i don't think it's a hardware faulty (yes, i'm saying that just because i don't want you to tell me to send it back and ask for a not-broken laptop. please help me something, this does not make me fell good

Games i played:
-Fortnite
-H1Z1

Laptop specs:
-HP Pavlion Power 17 ab305nc
-i5 7300hq 2,5 Ghz (boost to 3,5)
-GTX 1050 ti 4gb
-8gb 1 slot ram
if i forgot anything important just tell me

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
i found out that the fps drops happen everytime the CPU is above 93% or 100% BUT the real problem here is that i don't see anything else eating up my CPU than the game in the task manager

Ramlethal

Estimable
There could be some sort of bottleneck caused by the CPU. A stock CPU i5 7300HQ along with the Gtx 1050TI seems compatible and with only a 3% of its maximum power lost. I recommend to format the OS and clean install the whole PC to avoid any external programs to slow down the CPU.

Ramlethal

Estimable

Well basically im not quite sure if its 100% the CPU usage. BUT the gtx 1050 ti its quite a challenge for that i5... Since it demands much of its power to use the 100% of itself. Anyways its very difficult at all that you get fps drops like that... Are you by any chance playing without the charger plugged? or .... Are you extremly sure that your energy plan configuration is not sent to economic?

Ramlethal

Estimable

Ok, first lets try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), Download it and clear all Drivers installed, then, download ONLY geforce Experience software from the official Web and let the Geforce Experience update and Recognize which drivers to install.

If nothing of this works ill better clean up that pc by formatting it.

Dec 20, 2018
I have the same problem. I'm having sudden fps drops from 80-100 fps to 20 and less with the following configuration:
Inter core i7-7700HQ
CPU 2.80Ghz
8Gb memory
Nvidia geforce gtx 1050ti 4Gb
Lenovo notebook

kdstoecklin

Commendable
Dec 20, 2018
You guys should check your "Task Manager", and there wee if there is an abnormally high CPU, RAM, Disk usage.
I think you can check the usage with MSI Afterburner Too.
Sometimes its´s Window's 10 fault. Try updating your windows to the latest version, as well as your drivers.
Choose the High Performance Power Plan on your battery settings, and check the Nvidia/Radeon Control Panel settings.