Question GTX 1050 TI | Fans spinning, but no leds are on

Apr 19, 2020
I've had my 1050 ti for about 4 years, and I've had this issue once, about a month ago, and I somehow fixed it, and have no idea what I did, so I'm stuck.

So when I turn my computer on, my whole computer comes on, and gpu aswell, with leds and fans spinning for about 3 to 5 seconds, then the leds go off and nothing posts, the fans are still spinning and my computer is on, but no posts. I take the gpu out, and it posts no problem. I've tested the gpu with 2 separate systems, and the gpu does the same exact thing with both. I really hope my 1050 ti isn't dead, since I can't afford a new one, and my warranty is already void. Any advice on what to do?

Last edited:
May 6, 2020
I've had my 1050 ti for about 4 years... I really hope my 1050 ti isn't dead, since I can't afford a new one, and my warranty is already void. Any advice on what to do?

If you have had it for 4 years, it could be overheating. I would recommend taking the fan and heatsink off of the card and reapplying a good quality thermal paste (your warranty is void anyway, so what have you got to lose) - I recommend Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. I watched many hours of benchmarking videos to settle on it as my 'go to' but, depending on where you are in the world and if you can wait, you can also order a HUGE 'GD900' 30g thermal paste from AliExpress that costs about $3 and outperforms many popular brands. However, I suspect it to be a silver/metal compound so would recommend being extra careful to not get any on your graphics card's main board for risk of shorting it out - If that doesn't work then I would find the drivers for your card and flash the GPU bios. It's a 'make or break' last resort as it can quite literally total your card if you don't have the correct bios version for that card. If a card becomes dislodged during use, I have had them become corrupted and a bios flash with the correct bios has resolved the issue. This was on a 1060 card which I couldn't find the bios for, but luckily I had another 1060 at the time that I could use to trick it into posting (risky move on my part) and then finding/stealing the bios from that.

Last edited:
If you have had it for 4 years, it could be overheating. I would recommend taking the fan and heatsink off of the card and reapplying a good quality thermal paste (your warranty is void anyway, so what have you got to lose) - I recommend Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. I watched many hours of benchmarking videos to settle on it as my 'go to' but, depending on where you are in the world and if you can wait, you can also order a HUGE 'GD900' 30g thermal paste from AliExpress that costs about $3 and outperforms many popular brands. However, I suspect it to be a silver/metal compound so would recommend being extra careful to not get any on your graphics card's main board for risk of shorting it out - If that doesn't work then I would find the drivers for your card and flash the GPU bios. It's a 'make or break' last resort as it can quite literally total your card if you don't have the correct bios version for that card. If a card becomes dislodged during use, I have had them become corrupted and a bios flash with the correct bios has resolved the issue. This was on a 1060 card which I couldn't find the bios for, but luckily I had another 1060 at the time that I could use to trick it into posting (risky move on my part) and then finding/stealing the bios from that.

GPU that does not even POST is overheating?? Changing thermal paste (the process itself) can brick a good card... Flash BIOS from a different card?? OMG, where is it coming from?

May 6, 2020
GPU that does not even POST is overheating?? Changing thermal paste (the process itself) can brick a good card... Flash BIOS from a different card?? OMG, where is it coming from?

If you read his post, his graphics card is running and then shutting down. It very well could be an overheating issue. As we have already established, he does not have a ''good card'' - In your own unhelpful words, you were telling him it was bricked, which was the entire reason I created an account because you basically just told him to give up. Poor advice. Finally, I am telling him what has worked for me - I previously flashed the same card with the bios from another 'like-for-like' card and it repaired the dead card. If you want to debate that then go-ahead :sneaky:, as I advised, it is a last-resort and he would do better to find the correct bios online from official support channels.